Chinese-Forums

Religious Language

leather_strap

I would like to find some materials for teaching either younger native speakers or foreigners about both religion and religious language. Next year I will begin intermitant studies at a couple Buddhist temples in Taiwan and want to a get a jump on the basics.

Wait a minute, magores, those are the Taoist words. I think leather_strap needs more of the Buddhist words. I would think most Buddhists in Taiwan's temples won't be needing those words.

Leather_strap, could you let us know what branch of Buddhism you are going to study in, and also give us an idea of how much you already know (in a general idea) so that we could help you better and not lead you to the wrong track. :wink:

Whatever information I can dig up on any variety of language intrinsic to Taoism, Buddhism, Folk Religion, Confucianism, etc. Right now my knowledge of Chinese religious language is minimal, but after the summer I will be in Taiwan for a year studying off an on at Dharma Drum Mountain (Chan) in the North and at Buddha's Light Mountain (Pure Land) in the South. My hopes are to get a jump on the process!

Ok. Then, the other link would be good for your Taoist's languages and some of the Folk religion concepts.

Chan is "禪宗", and Pure Land is "淨土宗". I will search for other terms for you.

When you said, "variety of language intrinsic." What do you mean exactly? I do not quite understand the "intrinsic" part of your class. What is the purpose of your class -- the one you are teaching to younger native speakers or foreigners. Who are your target audience? Do they know Buddhism and other Chinese religions at all? Are they trying to learn the religion? Or do you just want to compare the terms between English and Chinese?

Thank you for your assistance.

I am not teaching a class, these materials are for independent studies. Just because I'm still in my undergraduate and have no access to Chinese religious language, doesn't mean I can't try on my own. For my next semester (and last here) I plan on getting a tutor who can help me with what materials I can pull together.

I haven't really set up anything officially as of yet on the Buddhist studies side as of next year outside of the research. I'm going to be in Kaohsiung for a year studying at National Sun Yat-sen University and will thus already be there.

Dharma Drum Mountain (Fa3gu1shan1) http://www.dharmadrum.org as well as Buddha's Light Mountain (Fo2guang1shan1) http://www.fgs.org.tw offer educational services for foreigners as well as indigents. The former is a Chan temple near Taipei and they seem focused more on retreats whereas the latter runs numerous schools and branch temples around the world. Both have a strong East-West connection and their sites are quite informative.

Dharma Drum Mountain (Fa3gu1shan1) http://www.dharmadrum.org as well as Buddha's Light Mountain (Fo2guang1shan1) http://www.fgs.org.tw offer educational services for foreigners as well as indigents. The former is a Chan temple near Taipei and they seem focused more on retreats whereas the latter runs numerous schools and branch temples around the world. Both have a strong East-West connection and their sites are quite informative.

Great - thanks for the info :) Didn't occur to me they'd have websites, let alone English ones!

Both of these temples, especially 佛光山, have spent a lot of time globalizing Buddhism. This means utilizing new technologies, reaching out to new audiences, and modifying the faith system, just the same as every religion is prone to do from time to time. ;-)