Chinese-Forums

Dragon Boat Festival -- Chinese or Korean cultural heritage?

Ian_Lee

South Korea and PRC have raced to report the Dragon Boat Festial as cultural heritage at UNESCO. Read:

http://news.chinatimes.com/Chinatimes/newslist/newslist-content/0,3546,110505+112004050800076,00.html

Actually the Mid-Autumn Festival, called Chusuk in Korean, is a very important festival to them.

Now PRC plans to package all the traditional festivals (I guess Lunar New Year+Qing Ming+Dragon Boat+Mid-Autumn+Zhong Yang) as cultural assets to UNESCO.

Hurry up! Otherwise Nnt may suggest Hanoi to report Tet (Lunar New Year) to UNESCO as Vietnam's cultural heritage first.

But any way, why doesn't PRC have these traditional festivals as public holidays? It makes more sense than 5/1 or 8/1 to Chinese.

umm perhaps because there are over 50 minorities in China which don't share the same tradition and have their own festivals??

Interesting report. But korea? Going a bit too far IMHO ...

The Korean has been celebrated those Festivals for all their lives, why couldn't they register it at the UNESCO to acknowledge their importance in the Korean culture? The database isn't a one-then-nothing database, I can't see any reasons why can't Chinese register them if the Korean put that in the list first.

It's the same for Vietnamese Tet. It's imported from China but it's already the most important festval in Vietnamese society with such a long history. So why can't they tell the world their soul and their spirit?

Most Koreans treat Xmas as a commercial festival, something for fun, or a reason for even non-Christian girl to get a gift (if she has a boyfriend).

So this is fundamentally different from those other imported but traditional festvials.

Most Koreans treat Xmas as a commercial festival, something for fun, or a reason for even non-Christian girl to get a gift (if she has a boyfriend).

So this is fundamentally different from those other imported but traditional festvials.

My travelog in Chinese: http://www.pazu.com/travel/

My photos: http://www.pazu.com/a/album.html

Well, I think your word would hurt those Korean Christine, their

number is not small in Korean, I think their loyalty to God is

unsuspectable, not commercial choice of coz. :mrgreen:

Okay, then i changed my words.

Almost all Koreans celebrate the Dragon Boat Festival.

Only half of them celebrate Xmas.

Xmas in Korea isn't really special.

Dragon Boat Festival has already mixed with kimchi.

• 2 weeks later...