Chinese-Forums

QQ Problem: pasting characters to QQ

flameproof

I have a problem pasting characters from "whatever source" to QQ chat. It always comes out at ????????

Pasting from QQ to "whatever" is no problem. I have a workaround, I paste first to Notepad, then copy it from Notepad to QQ, then it works.

Note: I use English Xp and have English QQ open via AppLocal. Seem to be related to character encoding.

If you're running the English version of QQ on an English XP system, why do you need to run it through AppLocal?

I always thought AppLocal should be used when the program and OS don't match (e.g. Chinese QQ program on an English XP system)

If you're running the English version of QQ on an English XP system, why do you need to run it through AppLocal?

I presume English QQ is a Chinese program and only menues etc. are in English. Without AppLocal I can not see or write characters at all.

That's interesting...

One of these days QQ will figure out what Unicode is... :roll:

Anyway, I've never experienced the problem you described. I'm usually doing things the other way around (copying things from QQ into a dictionary program... :oops: )

It sounds like it's a compatability issue from using AppLocal, but I don't have any suggestions how you might fix it...

• 3 weeks later...

Go to your control panel, Click Language and Regional settings Click administrative or advanced tab depending on operating system, then Change system Locale, to Chinese PRC this will make it work. And it will not affect English based programs. Restart your computer and it will make Chinese in qq and other software work. No copy paste needed.

No, the point was to affect non-unicode Chinese applications. Changing the system settings will set the default codepage for all non-unicode programs. Using AppLocale allows you to change it on a per application basis. This allows you to run legacy applications from different languages (i.e. Chinese and Japanese) without needing to reboot to get the language to display properly. Quite a significant number of users ran/run into this problem, hence the reason Microsoft released this utility.

Once installed, it can be also run by limited user accounts, meaning users of a machine can run legacy applications from different languages without needing to have access to the system settings.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This link no longer works:

>> http://im.qq.com/intl/en/tm/2008/download.shtml

The file to download was: tm2008preview4_en.exe (about 10Mb)

With that string you can google for it and will find a few sources, example:

http://uploaded.to/?id=7hgc0e

If you want English QQ this is really the best version so far, and it's the first in Unicode, so no more tricks to make it work in English Windows Xp