Chinese-Forums

集结号(The Assembly) - who wanna see it in theater?

JoannaLi

assemblyposter-04.jpg

The very original story of a soldier tirelessly fighting the red-tape to gain honor and justice for his dead comrades is the best part of the film. Director Feng Xiaogang was known for making blockbuster comedies. A few years ago he decided to try something new. After Cell Phone, a comedy with a serious subject, A World without Thieves, a drama with comedic scenes and The Banquet, a big-budget period martial-art flick, Assembly becomes his first war movie.

I think the DVD's worth buying then.

I saw this film yesterday. Watching the first part I thought to myself, how come they talk so much during combat? and personally I don't think a Chinese remake of Saving Private Ryan is necessary. And the stepping on land mine in Korea scene reminded me of the Korean film "JSA" which has a similar story. I like the second part better.

Leaving the cinema I saw many people wiping their eyes. I cried a little too but that was really because I am very 眼淺 and tend to cry easily. I don't particularly like this film and will not watch it again.