Chinese-Forums

F visa OR X visa - which is better?

sandeehoo

Hi everyone,

Could you please help me with my predicament.

My situation is: I coming from Australia to study in Tsinghua Uni for the whole of 2008 beginning Feb. I also plan to take a short holiday to Hong Kong during the July break and then coming back to resume the second half my studies.

My questions are:

- should I apply for the F visa (6 months validity) then renew it after 6 months or X visa (1 yr validity)?

- between the two, which is cheaper? keeping in mind that X visa requires full physical med examination (which costs money) and F visa can by-pass that.

- between the two, which is more convenient? keeping in mind that X visa offers multiple-entry but it requires you to apply for a resident permit, whereas F visa is only for single-entry but does not require resident permit application.

What are the fees and processes involved with applying for another F visa after the first one expires? Is it a simple process or does it require me to leave the country and renew it somewhere else like in Hong Kong or something?

Thanks in advance, everyone!

Sandeehoo.

to study in Tsinghua Uni
F visa OR X visa

Whichever one they choose to get you when you apply. Probably an X.

Also, you can get a multiple entry F visa. While it is somewhat true that people can maneuver there way into a certain type of visa, the standard process involves you (or in your case, the school who does this for their foreign students) filling out a form, and the chinese government decides what kind they want to give you based on what you answered on the form.

yes, your school should best advise you on this. probably you should get an x visa, since it's for studying, and that's what you'll be doing. if you get one that isn't a full year (say, 10 or 11 months) i think you don't need the medical exam. last time i checked which was a year ago, x visas were in the neighborhood of 400 to 500 for a year. f visas are expensive and you can get multi entry, but it might take some string-pulling. anyway, visa regulations are changing all the time and vary from place to place so ask your school as they probably have an employee in place to deal just with visas.

Yes, you will almost certainly be issued with an X visa. Regarding the medical, from memory it costs about 600-700 RMB (~AUD100) to get it done when you arrive in BJ. That's usually the best way to do it, because if you get it done in Oz, there is still a good chance that they'll make you take it again anyway when you get here.

hi everyone,

thanks for the quick responses.

My JW202 visa form actually says I will be studying for half a year only, even though I distinctly remember ticking the one year box in my application form.

so I guess it's likely they will grant me an F visa after all.

i was granted a x-visa when i got my visa notice, and it also said 6months. but when u arrive in beijing, u have to apply for a residence permit anyways, it won't matter how long your x-visa is for.

when u arrive in beijing and decide to study for a year, make it clear when u're registering. u'll pay for a year's tuition and they will fill out the paperwork for a residence permit for 1 year, otherwise it will be for half a year and u will have to renew it.