• Advanced Beginner
    • Lower Intermediate
    • Intermediate
    • High Intermediate
    • Lower Advanced
    • Advanced
    • Fluent

I chose intermediate.

I only learn part-time when I have time.

Heaps of beginner books:

Teach Yourself Beginner's Chinese + audio

Teach Yourself Chinese + audio

Colloquial Chinese + audio

Zadoyenko, Huang Shuyin - Учебник китайского языка. (Russian) 1st volume, 15 lessons of the 2nd volume. Texts are a bit outdated, no audio and sometimes boring. Excellent grammar, character coverage.

Practical Chinese Reader - 1 volume + audio

New Practical Chinese Reader - volumes 1, 2 and 3. + audio

+ reference materials, grammar books.

+ some language exchange partners I have - very occasional.

Haven't managed to read a whole book in Chinese but a few chapters of Gulliver stories.

Selected chapters from Everyday Chinese series.

Song lyrics - Teresa Teng (Deng Lijun), Renee Liu (Liu Ruoying), etc.

Chinese e-mails from my penpals.

Private conversational class in Melbourne - 3 10-week terms.

A semester at RMIT (I could skip 3 preceding semesters)- recently got Certificate III in Applied Languages (not that I need another education). High Distinction.

I think, my grammar is not bad, pronunciation - OK, including tones, speaking rather slowly, listening skill - depends who I speak too but I am easily lost, characters - perhaps 1,500 passivley, can only write about 500.

I can boast a similar knowledge in Japanese and I am a beginner in Arabic. Fluent in Russian, English, German. Functional in French and Polish.

I regret to say, after all this, I am still pretty far from fluency, especially in speaking. I hope to boost my Chinese when I start travelling to China and hopefully attend an extensive immersion course in China.

I can't write characters with a pen at all, but on a computer am probably about same as reading well over 2000 probably more with contextual clues.

That's one thing I hate about character quiz thingies they do individual characters and sometimes I might not catch what it is but if it's part of a word I'll know every time because my brain is used to seeing the word as a whole. A simple example is 陪 and 部, if you showed me just the characer I'd have to flip a coin to guess which one it was, but if I was reading and came across 部分 or 陪同 be understood no problem. Even alone the context does it "小李陪孩子去" easily read without thinking which one it is.

Easy question for me. Beginner! :mrgreen:

I also love FSI but I'm only on the second unit yet.

Unable to say anything but the most basic rehearsed phrases to a Chinese speaker and not really able to understand the answer. But I've certainly advanced a lot since last year! AND a lot of that was due to the links and information on this forum. :)

I also love muyongshi's Snoopy btw.

kiss him at midnight, just one peck on either one of his Snoopy cheeks for me please!

Should I be disturbed by this?????? Am I being hit on on the forums???? Wow! :oops:

(ps any check on the whole snoopy dating chinese girl recently :mrgreen: )