Chinese-Forums

Min Zhe? Help with chinese name!

mikhailquijano

Hello everybody!

My name is Mikhail, and would like some help regarding choosing my Chinese name.

I have heard of a nice name, 悯哲 ("min zhe"), which i have read means "sensitive and wise." It got my attention because it has a similar sound to my name and supposedly lucky. Does this work? I was thinking of using it with my mom's last name "王."

I was not sure if the characters were correct, or if the name sounds valid and has no connotations and other bad stuff we wouldn't like for a name.

Thank you very much and 新年快乐!

For "sensitive and wise" I think it is 敏哲 (min3 zhe2). (min3) means being sensitive (like having sensitive skin, being sensitive to others' feelings/criticism etc) or being quick in reaction/making response.

, the first character you used, means to sympathsise/pity. It is also being sensitive to others' feelings/needs but this is not a very good word for a name IMHO.

王敏哲 is an OK name. 王憫哲 (your original plan) is also ok if you really like the second character.

Thanks skylee! I think I will use your suggestion; I rather like its meaning better (i mean, i completely overlooked "to pity," and I wouldn't want that in my name). Another option a friend of mine would be to use 明哲 instead. What's your opinion?

I really really super appreciate your help! ^.^

Another option a friend of mine would be to use 明哲 instead. What's your opinion?

明哲 in itself is ok. But it brings to mind the term 明哲保身 which I think is not totally positive. Take a look at this and entry 10 under words of this.

10. 明哲 [ming2zhe2], adj., wise: 明哲保身 phr., wise for personal survival, i. e., cautious during bad government.

But of course not everyone will connect 明哲 with 明哲保身.

I think I will be using 敏哲.

you're not worried that it's a bit feminine though? 明 for example is more masculine than 敏, you'll find 明 in male names and 敏 in female names. I saw some inaccuracies in skylee's posts but it sure won't hurt to proofread your own prose.

And that's when mikhailquijano is about to tell me that 'Mikhail' is a girl's name haha. I won't bet on this though.

Haha no, it's not a girl's name. So 明 would be a better option. Although I heard from someone that the Director of the Finance Office of Zhejiang is named 丁敏哲. So I guess I'm still quite safe?

But really really appreciate your opinion!