Chinese-Forums

Renewing work visa

engrafted

I'm trying to get this whole thing figured out so I don't end up with no visa next year.

My Z visa (with my residence permit, of course) will expire in August. What goes into getting another one? I was told that I must have a letter or something from the company that employed me in order to renew. Is it possible to renew without any papers from a previous job or not?

I might change jobs soon, but if I do I'm afraid that the company that got my z visa won't give me the necessary papers to renew. Should I just stick it out or take the gamble?

a) Your Z-visa expired when you got your residence permit. The latter replaces the former.

B) Are you still with the same employer? If so, then it should be no problem to renew your residence permit but you still need papers from that employer. If not, then technically you do not have any visa. The residence permit is only valid while you remain with the employer who obtained it. This is usually overlooked.

c) If you are taking up new employment, you will need the new employer to supply the correct paperwork for a residence permit (if they can.)

There was some talk on another forum (Dave's) about needing a letter of reference from your employer if you decided to change jobs when you're contract ends. I don't know how true this is or not, just passing on information.

Even if your current employer renews your residence permit, once you quit that job they cancel it any ways. So it really doesn't make sense to have them go through the process if you're planning on leaving.

Unrelated, just want to apologise to Roddy for a previous thread on DVDs.

Yeah, letters of reference are sometimes (maybe always now, not sure) required if you are shifting from one job to another on the same residence permit. If you go out and come back in again on a new Z visa they aren't. If you are shifting PSB jurisdictions you also need to be signed off the books in place A before you can sign back on in Place B. All that said, it's been some time since I did this last and as always your mileage may vary.

Unrelated, just want to apologise to Roddy for a previous thread on DVDs.

Thanks, but I have no idea which thread you are apologizing for. Also, the private message function is a bit more reliable than leaving notes in random topics and hoping I see it :mrgreen:

Yep.

Officially speaking, one place has to release you from your contract before you can sign on with another one.

Of course there's a completely new lao2dong4fa3, whether or not any of the provisions change any of this I have no clue have only had to recently read parts of the relating to other issues. It went into effect a few days ago and it made quite an impact for the increased protections for the employees. I have not read the whole thing yet.

Unrelated, I would just like to apologize for apologizing for always following up right behind Roddy. Apparently we have similar sleep patterns. I swear I'm not your stalker.:lol:

Indeed, as it's been mentioned above, you need what's called a "release letter" from your previous employer stating that you've lived up to your contract and all was well.

This, however, is only need when you're renewing before expiration of the current work visa. If the current one will expire while you're out of the country, then it does not really matter

keep in mind that depending on the city you're in as well as the level of guanxi that your employer has, things can differ greatly