Chinese-Forums

Configuring port forwarding on a Tenda TEI402M router

onebir

I can't find any instructions for this in English, & I doubt Chinese instructions would help much (not least because I barely know what port forwarding is in any language...)

I found instructions for the Tenda TWL54C here.

Does anyone know if they work the same way? Or if it's likely they work the same way?

What purpose are you hoping to use the port-forwarding for? Are you just trying to get this to work for the torrent program?

Also, is it correct to assume that you have administrator rights to the router and that you are already able to log in to the configuration webpages for the router?

Anyway, port forwarding works pretty much the same way on most routers, although they will all have slightly different configuration interfaces. Also, it is quite commonly called virtual servers.

2 things you need to do. Firstly, you need to make sure that the computer you are doing the port-forwarding on has a static-IP address. By default, your router is probably setup to assign dynamic IP addresses via DHCP. If you go into the DHCP settings, there should be a way to always assign a static IP to a specific computer based on the computer's MAC address. The router should tell you the MAC addresses of the currently connected computers. Figure out the MAC address of the one you want to use, and set that up.

The next thing you need to do, is decided which port you need to give access to. Every program has their own port numbers that they need to use, so you'll need to look in the documentation of the program you are using to find out what port to use. Then, on the virtual servers page of the router configuration, just enter the port for the program as well as your new static IP address, click enable, and then save settings.