Chinese-Forums

Whats the rule on getting "guan gong" tatted on you

TriadDaiLo

I have many traditional tattoos (dragons and all that good stuff) I'm really traditional (I'm chinese if that matters) but anyways i always wanted to get guan gong tatted on it but I'm not sure whats the rule on that my artist (Traditional chinese man) wouldn't even do it for me because he said thats against the rule but he never told me why and my mom told me you can't even have a statue of guan gong in your house without having someone to bless your home first.. So maybe someone else could explain this to me? Also i have seen people for guan gong on them..

Guan Gong for all that don't know

p3k_GuanYu_340.jpg

In countries which have a population consisting of mainly Chinese, it's quite common to find people who worship Guan Gong (also known as the God of War, carries a large Crescent-Moon Sabre and scroll in each of his hands).

So, by tattooing this name, you're basically inscribing the name of a Chinese god on your body.

In Chinese culture (and even Middle Eastern ones like Islam), people tend to be more respectful of their gods.

In Western culture, it's common to see people make fun of their gods.

Heck, people wear t-shirts which says " Jesus Christ is my home boy" or even "**** Jesus!", or "God is a She" etc.

In the East, if you do that, you'll raise plenty of eyebrows and get flamed.

In the Middle East, you'll get stoned to death or whipped hundreds of times if you try that.

Also, more importantly, Guan Gong is a deity which the Chinese secret societies pray to.

I'm not too sure about China, but this is true for my country and also some(if not, most) areas in Hong Kong and Taiwan.

Thus, if you insist on this tattoo, be careful if you're travelling to Chinese-speaking countries.

If they see you with the tattoo, the younger genration of punks might be interested in having coffee with you. :D

my mom told me you can't even have a statue of guan gong in your house without having someone to bless your home first.

That's always the case for all statues of Chinese deities, like the Merchant God, Monkey God etc.

Usually, we invite those Taoists (or holy men) to perform rituals to bless and "activate" the statue.

Good day,

Xeon

First of all, you might get bad luck from it because it would be considered an act of disrespect. From what I heard, Guan Gong is very famous for bring people with bad luck if they don't respect him. You notice I used the capital letter for his name, and I don't usually be so careful with other Chinese deities! :mrgreen:

Anyway, Guan Gong is very highly respected all around the Chinese world, especially among the oversea Chinese, so ... You should be careful around Chinese, especially traditional Chinese or Chinese gangs, and not expose your tatoo. If you don't, you might get beaten up or hurt. I know it was like that when I was growing up in Taipei about 30-40 years ago. I am not sure how it would be nowadays. From what I am reading on the Web, it would be the same as before. Also, Taiwanese policemen also worship Guan Gong, so don't show them your tatoo if you are in Taiwan for sure.

TriadDailo, I've just noticed your username. I suppose you don't plan to use this or similar names in real life, right? :) It will be dangerous. If you are in HK, calling yourself by such a name might get you in jail. This post is relevant ->

http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/15064-triad-god-forbid

Just a thought. :)

my suggestion is "忠义“ and you can choose the classic style which looks better.

Guan Gong is not only famous for his ability of fighing.....but also for his loyalty and righteous (in fact i don't know how to explain 义 in English.....similar with loyalty but more....)

If several Chinese, including your trad Chinese tattooist, say it's a bad idea, I think maybe it would be better to go for something/someone else. Plenty of other interesting people in Chinese history and mythology to choose from.

sorry, assumed people use proxies. my bad. :oops:

"Most dragons in Chinese art are shown with four toes and only the Emperor was entitled to five. Anyone else who presumed to display a five-toed dragon without authorisation met with swift retribution."