Chinese-Forums

Can anyone give a sound Chinese translation to this sentence?

Han-tiger

Many thanks for all you guys’ inputs!

I have not yet got a chance to make a search in this site, but I bet this is probably the first thread discussing the translation of an English sentence, since here is a Chinese forum. So I am not sure whether a thread of this kind should be in strict accordance with the rules of this online community.

The motive for sending this post is that to my understanding, this thread is something like一石二鸟,一举两得, or 一箭双雕 (killing two birds with one stone, which always reminds me of the kindness from muyongshi:lol:). It could act as a reciprocal arrangement for our native and non-native Chinese speakers. You westerners surely have so much confidence in English, and we certainly in Chinese.

I’ve referred this sentence to a US friend, her explanation to this sentence is: It means that you don't have to love someone to give whatever you are giving them; however, in order to love someone you definitely must be giving of yourself if it is true love. Of course the "giving" is determined based upon the circumstances surrounding the situation.

You guys of course understand it quite well. But how to translate into Chinese is another story. Language features history, culture, and way of thinking of its speakers. Logic! Just as xiaocai says “总觉得有点绕口,不知道为什么”. Yeah! There are lots of other English sentences of the similar kind, like “I cannot recommend this book too strongly for college students”, or “I couldn’t agree with you more”, and the like.

There are several Chinese phrases that correspond to "give" ("giving"): 给予,施舍,奉献,付出。”奉献” often suggests a dedication for a public interest, so it is not suitable in this sentence. “付出” usually means a giving that is based on love (like the love of parents to their kids). Here the giving means “真情付出”.

I think the following ones are both acceptable and understandable.

给予并不代表爱,但是爱肯定要给予.

给予不一定是爱,但爱一定是给予。

没有爱也可以给予,但如果爱就一定得给予。

但有施而不爱,未有爱而不施。

施不必出于爱,爱却必有所施.

My translation is: 这个世界里存在着没有爱的施舍,但却没有不付出的爱。

Among the above listed, “但有施而不爱,未有爱而不施” is a very good one.

Cheers!

You can give without loving, you can’t love unless you give.

My try is 有无爱之施,无不予之爱.

Among of the above listed, “但有施而不爱,未有爱而不施” is a very good one.

哎呀!原来已有珠玉在前,我的翻译真是见笑,见笑了。

Cheers!