Chinese-Forums

Looking at getting a new phone-pda combo, any suggestions on the following?

Shadowdh

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty much resigned to not getting a shiny new toy in the near future. However, for anyone that is thinking about it, here's what I'd like you to buy and then tell me about:

The Sony Ericsson Xperia X1. Sony Ericsson designed, HTC built. That sounds like a great combination to me. 800*480 screen, and so many features I can't see anything missing.

The HTC Touch High-Definition - again, 800*400 screen and lots of other goodies.

The HTC Dream, running Google's Android OS. Wouldn't take much to convince me to dump Windows Mobile - I was a reluctant convert away from Palm anyway. It's not going to run Pleco, but if it is fun to use and responsive I might love it anyway. But worryingly it seems there may be issues with Chinese support. Couldn't find anything beyond that though, apart from this which is a different kind of android entirely.

I'm shopping for a new cell phone/PDA combo. My current one is a Treo 650. It is bursting at the seams and also does not work in Taiwan, seeing as it is a CDMA phone. I'm not too keen on buying another Palm device given that Palm has been wasting away their technological lead during the past few years. (I'm being polite here...) I'm not keen on Windows devices either because I just try to stay away from Microsoft on the basis that they never play nice with anyone.

The HTC Dream might be a good device for me but I think it won't be released in Asia anytime soon. And then there are possible issues with Chinese. (Thanks HTC!)

The one other device on my radar is the Motorola A1600 (aka Motorola Ming 2, if I recall correctly). It runs Linux and is sold now in Asia. However, it does not seem to be sold in Taiwan. (Thanks Motorola!)

• 2 months later...

Ok so now my contract is up and after constant reminding from the carphonewarehouse I will be upgrading my phone on Monday... it looks like I will be getting the Xperia X1 as I can get a great package with that... plus it looks like it covers all the bases Pleco wise and usability wise. Played with it a bit in the vodaphone shop today and its graphics are awesome, my only concerns are that it seems less solid than the HTC TyTN II/Kaiser/Vario III which I have and the screen while longer seems narrower, and finally the keyboard might take some getting used to... I think that this is just changing phone make foibles though... any thoughts on this phone greatly appreciated...

Roddy did you end up getting it or another?

Bought the HTC touch, the "old" one a couple of months ago. It was pretty cheap, around 2000RMB, and is really good. Love it. Works really smooth with plecodict and the size of the phone is perfect.

But, it took some time before I could find a place here where they could give me the english OS and with hanzi handwriting recognition. But, It all worked out in the end.

Just wanted to give this tip to everyone that are looking for a new phone-pda combo. And the program for the handwriting recognition is called 马兰花,fairly easy to find the registration code on the internet without having to pay the 80RMB it costs to buy.

However, for anyone that is thinking about it, here's what I'd like you to buy and then tell me about:

[...]

The HTC Dream, running Google's Android OS.

I just (last night) got the unlocked version of it.

I'm mostly impressed so far. I got it to play around with for software development, so I haven't made any calls on it. I have hooked it up to various wireless networks, used some features, etc.

Cons:

Screen mechanism seems kind of delicate; would have preferred attachment on both sides.

Trackball either takes some time to get used to or not very precise; will also likely accumulate oil/dirt.

Back cover kind of annoying to remove the first few times; will probably get loose if removed/attached lots of times.

Requires a sim card with data plan to set up phone.

I need more info on:

Not sure if apps which are no longer visible hang around or are closed.

Touchscreen seems OK, but I haven't taken off the protective shipping plastic. :)

UI takes a little getting used to.

Haven't been able to get a GPS connection indoors the two times I tried. ETA: I finally got a fix; perhaps it's just slow connecting?

Pros:

Fast.

Great screen.

Keyboard usable (though no way to touch type) even though I have large hands.

Device shape actually works well (though I am left-handed, so am holding it in right hand when in landscape mode).

Good browsing experience, wireless speed, etc.

----------------

Edited by character

I was expecting that any registration required could be done over wireless. This version of the phone is sold for development, so it could live a useful life without ever making a phone call. In any event, there may be a workaround (no idea if it works).

Wait... are you saying the device is completely unusable without a sim card? So if I'm a developer who is developing a little game for the phone, I can't use the phone for testing unless there is a valid sim card in it???

If that's the case, that's a definite bummer... and it is not unreasonable to ask for. Palm's CDMA Treos work fine without phone service. I don't know about their GSM phones.

Wait... are you saying the device is completely unusable without a sim card? So if I'm a developer who is developing a little game for the phone, I can't use the phone for testing unless there is a valid sim card in it???

It seems to be completely unusable until you register it, which seems to require a sim card with a data plan. After it is registered you can remove the sim card and use the phone as a wifi device. Unfortunately, it's my understanding that it needs to be reregistered after a reinstall of the OS (and possibly after a hard reset).

I haven't had a chance to hook it up and do development with it, but I don't think not having a sim card in it will be a problem.

All of which I'm sure is orthogonal to Roddy's interest in the device. :)

All of which I'm sure is orthogonal to Roddy's interest in the device

I was thinking more along the lines of 'is it pretty' and 'is it easy to write Chinese on it'. But thanks anyway :wink:

Roddy did you end up getting it or another?

Ah, I was only curious about the others. I'm still happy enough with my HTC Touch, can't see me upgrading for a while.

Ah, I was only curious about the others. I'm still happy enough with my HTC Touch, can't see me upgrading for a while.

Awww ok... I was kinda hoping you have used the X1 and could give some feedback... I love my Kaiser/TyTNII etc but since I am due an upgrade and was offered the X1 for free I thought I might dip my toes in so to speak... cheers mate...

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so I got the Sony-Ericsson Xperia X1 as an upgrade and boy am I glad that I did... what a phone. Its display is crystal and brilliant for reading Chinese and books as well as playing various games (not many of those yet but for the future as too busy now). The touch screen is sensitive and with a martin fields protector feels great to use, almost tactile. Functionality is impressive as it connects with pretty much everything that is going at the moment and some that arent (like HSUPA, HSDPA's bigger brother apparently)... very useful as a mini laptop and quicker than I have seen many phones too. Battery life is pretty good for me at around 4 days or so with lots of use (mainly the reading and Pleco). I have a 16gb card in it at the moment and will load alot of my listening and reading stuff on that. The media player it comes with is not too bad but I use coreplayer/TCMP and its great. Only downside (which is not much of one really) is the speaker... only one of those and its not as good as most SE phones there including my wifes 770i which is loud... still good enough to hear on a busy street though...

• 1 month later...

Does anybody know:

- is Dopod Touch Pro identical to HTC Touch Pro? (perhaps it's a bit downgraded for the mainland market?)

I am going next to week to Hongkong and consider to look for one if the price ok. Perhaps there are some better offers. (I reside in Tianjin.)

Last time a checked taobao.com the average price was 4000rmb, starting from as low as 3500rmb.

also, since I've never had a touch/qwerty phone, I am still pondering, perhaps Touch Diamond is good enough, letting me save ~1000rmb on keyboard.

• 7 months later...

Smartphone users may be interested to know that Sogou now have a pinyin input method for Symbian, Android and Windows Mobile devices. I've just installed it and will report back on how useful it is - so far it seems to lack the massive word database of the PC version, but it does remember phrases. And the database looks to be bigger than whatever I was using before.

Apologies if this is old news, was new to me. (Looks like imron beat me too it . . )

Edited by roddy

• 4 months later...

Hey Roddy... do you have that sougou ime handy?

Just got myself a nice new phone... the HTC HD2 and its simply an awesome piece of kit... huge screen, super fast processor and a load of rom and ram... Pleco works fine on it and reading is now such a pleasure and no squinting from this old man... uses a capacative screen as opposed to a resistive one but it so far has not proved a hassle apart from the usual ones when learning to use a new device... videos are amazing on it and the sound is great... over all well happy...

*edit* nevermind, found it...

How I envy you. I would love to have it but it is very expensive.

Got it on a very good deal, phone cost me £11.50 on a year long contract... its fantabulous... reading on it is so awesome and watching movies/programs a dream... and better still Pleco seems to run absolutely fine on it... (still going through all the features and bits on the latest beta release). :clap