Chinese-Forums

Colloquial Chinese - volume 2

atitarev

I have bought Colloquial Chinese - volume 2 by Kan Qian. I used volume 1 long ago.

It's not bad, I like the texts and the vocab selected. I only use it to practice a bit more with dialogues.

After some other, more advanced textbooks like New Practical Chinese Reader (III) it may seem a bit too easy but the vocabulary is different.

As many other textbooks for foreigners, the focus is on simplified characters but all texts, including audio practice texts are in simplified, Pinyin and traditional scripts. Spotted a small mismatch between S/T (once only so far).

New words and the vocab are only given in simplified and Pinyin.

Hi!

I also used volume 1 to start off learning Chinese. I too find it great, the progression from pinyin to characters and the introduction of characters was not too daunting for a beginner. Additionally, I liked the vocabulary which is at a good level. Her second volume contains uptodate vocab and real life issues (rather than stilted scenarios). I have purchased too and am using the dialogues and the documentary texts at the end. Both books are used apparently by her Cambridge undergrads.

Incidentally, one of the male voices in the first volume is spoken by a caucasian UK native. He grew up in China but returned to the UK later. Great inspiration.

wrx sti