Chinese-Forums

Soong Mei Ling's ( 宋美龄) accent

calibre2001

She was born and grew up in Shanghai and went to school in U.S. when she was fairly young, and Shanghainess should be her home dialect even thought her family was originally from Hainan. Some of her words sounded like Shanghainess. However, she did not sound completely like a Shanghainess speaking Mandarin. Could it be her native Hainan dialect got in the ways also. Also, she had been living in U.S. for a while. Some of her words had American accent also. In addition, she should be very old by then, and her false teeth, etc would also be causing her to speak in certain ways. I will guess Shanghainess with some American accent for sure and maybe a bit of Hainan accent, maybe?

• 3 weeks later...

Her accent, in my opinion, is not considered 'high class', yet 'educated'. The way she speaks is different from that Yue/Shanghainese speakers do. I however notice Shanghainese influences in her speech. Though my judgement can be predetermined by knowing she grew up speaking Shanghainese.

• 1 month later...