Chinese-Forums

Changing schools - and related visa issues

abuck

Hi all,

I am all set to start at Fudan this February, but have read some negative things on these boards and shanghaiexpat that make me have second thoughts.

Namely:

1) teachers are inexperienced,

2) not much opportunity to practice speaking in the classroom and

3) distance from the city center.

So I've been looking at applying to ECNU or Shanghai Jiaotong instead. Anyone have anything to add about those two universities (for studying Chinese language)? I know that ECNU in particular has been covered in other posts and I studied there myself last spring, but through CIEE. I know next to nothing about SJTU except that its Xuhui campus is much closer to the city center.

Since I don't have a JW-202 from anyone except Fudan, I was considering other visa options. Is there any way to enter on an L (tourist) visa and convert to F (study) visa once I'm in the country? How expensive/time consuming is it?

Ok, well thanks for your help - with a matter of weeks before I land in China, I'm getting a little desperate here! :help

Duo xie,

Amy