Chinese-Forums

Learning other languages

ezpar

At what point, while studying Mandarin, does it not become incredibly foolish to start learning another language? I've only been studying for a few months so I don't think it would be a very good idea now, but I'd like to brush up my Spanish skills or start on French.

At what level should one be before embarking upon another language? Have any of you started (or resumed) studying another language while studying Mandarin?

I might need to begin one of those relatively easy languages if only to boost my confidence.

I'm a beginner myself with just one year of study but I can tell you I actually have had to abandon my studies of all other languages --as well as reduce the amount of time devoted to other pastimes-- in order to study Mandarin. Maybe people who've been at it for longer have managed to learn Mandarin and other languages at the same time but my guess is that unless you have a lot of free time, unfortunately it's either Mandarin alone or no Mandarin. Again, maybe I'm wrong but that's my experience so far. And I still am unable to have a few sentences of decent conversation in this language... :roll:

ezpar, where do you live?

i think it all depends on your environment. if you have the ability to create a good environment for whichever language you're studying, then i think it's okay for you to study other languages as well. if you have only chinese people around you, it will be up to you do find creative ways (i.e. internet) to create your environment. if you have friends that speak the other languages you want to study, then that's going to help.

one think about getting a handle on languages is for it to become a natural reflex. like kung fu: if a punch is coming at ya and you're a master, your body knows what to do without you even thinking about it. if you're using the language in context/environment then it will be come more and more natural. when someone speaks mandarin or spanish or esperanto to you, try not to think too much and just let your mouth do the talking. of course this isn't that easy to do at first :)

interesting point.

Ive tried picking up a bit of latin and korean but studying chinese doesnt allow me to do it in any sort of systematic way. it seems with a language so vast and rich as chinese any time spent doing something else is detrimental to your progess. I reckon by around level 8 hsk you've got a good enough grounding to starting looking at other stuff, thats what i'm doing anyway

I have such a hard time dealing with language wanderlust --the urge to study multiple foreign languages.

I have studied Chinese for one year at the university level, and I am far from fluent. I'm moving to Harbin on the 21st, and I'll probably focus solely on Mandarin for at least another year before trying my hand at a 2nd language. However, if you're organized and efficient, I'm sure you can go ahead and restart your French and Spanish studies now. You might want to check the forums at how-to-learn-any-language.com for advice.

For you advanced learners, what resources have you been using to learn Chinese?

Have any of you started (or resumed) studying another language while studying Mandarin?
Did you read the threads here, here and here?
For you advanced learners, what resources have you been using to learn Chinese?
That might go just a bit beyond the topic of this thread... :wink:

Did you have a look at the top list of study tools, as well as this excellent list of advice (never mind that it says for beginners, you can use it at advanced stages as well!) already?

actually I have to say that after studying Chinese for this many years it has killed any remaining

language wanderlust --the urge to study multiple foreign languages.
I may have had prior to coming to China

if anything, I think studying chinese is like acquiring an OCD and a phobia all roled into one!....you get really obsessed about making it perfect and fear having to start at the beginning of another language ever ever again.....:help...but then again, that's just me...:lol: