Chinese-Forums

What is the pinyin romanization for 产干

林彪

Again, if computers can't handle the Chinese language well, we will improve the way computers work, we do not change our language to suit computers.

Nothing about the language has changed!! 正词法 merely better reflects the actual structure of Chinese. I suppose you would rather be writing Wenyanwen.

For search engines, I do not see a need to separate words with spaces.

No, using Chinese search engines would require a certain degree of ci awareness and the separation of words.

BTW, I learned the general rules in middle school and later reinforced by various classes (computer courses) in high school.

No, using Chinese search engines would require a certain degree of ci awareness and the separation of words.

The user can always separate or quote different words, and the search engines return pages containing those words in character sequence.

Itdoesn'tworkwithenglish but 中文就可以

ok I will end here, very off topic now.

The user can always separate or quote different words' date=' and the search engines return pages containing those words in character sequence.

Itdoesn'tworkwithenglish but 中文就可以 [/quote']

No. "It works with English as well", using quotation marks, the words are searched out in whole sequence.

If I may continue this off-topic direction, I would like to offer a quote fro the "Editor's Call to Action" of the ABC Chinese-English Comprehensive Dictionary, Editor: John DeFrancis, Copyright: 2003. John DeFrancis has quite impressive credentials as a scholar of Chinese.

"This appeal calls upon users of the ABC Dictionary, and scholars generally in China and abroad, to participate in the broad effort needed to bring about (1) progress in Chinese lexicography, and (2) planned periodic upgrading of the present work.

"In a way, the present effort is premature. It should have been preceded by generally accepted rules for pinyin orthography (e.g., capitalization and joining or spearating syllables) and serial arrangement of characters. Instead there is virtual chaos in both these areas, best exemplified by the factious decisions of recent Chinese lexicographers to arrange characters under 186, 188, 189, 191, 225, 226, 242, and 250 radicals.

"The advent of computers has increased the need to end this chaos and reach a degree of agreement more or less comparable to that achieved by Western lexicographers in their arrangement of entries and by authors and publishers in their acceptance of a common manual of style.

"To be sure, Western practice is by no means ccompletely uniform, and in any case took hundreds of years to evolve. The problems of Chinese written in pinyin are even more complex than those in a language like English, and are not susceptible to quick and easy solutions. Nevertheless, greater effort is possible, and is certainly needed, to work toward the eventual goal of standardization of pinyin orthography.

[A discussion follows about problems of spacing, hyphenation, and capitalization with respect to cheng2 yu3 (eg., an4 du4 chen2 cang1), numbers and measure words (eg., sanben shu vs. san ben shu), tonal changes (bi3jiao3 vs. bi2jiao3), colloquial vs. formal style (bi3jiao3/bi2jiao3 vs. bi3jiao4), and resultative verbs (kan4bujian4 vs. kan4 bu jian4)]

"Of course the decisions regarding matters of pinyin orthography should ultimately be made by the Chinese themselves. I hope, however, that Westerners will add to the present effort to raise the issues, will participate in academic discussion of the problems, and will help find reasonable solutions aimed at increasing the efficiency of pinyin as an orthography and as the optimum method of handling characters on computers.

"In these efforts it is expecially necessary to give support to reform-minded Chinese who, unequivocally rejecting any idea of abandoning characters, insist on the need to modernize Chinese writing through a policy of "digraphia," that is, literacy both in charactes and in pinyin.

John Defrancis"