Chinese-Forums

New Chinese language interfaces

imron

After Atitarev's suggestion in this thread, and following discussion among the admins that it might also be useful for language learners, both Simplified and Traditional language packs have been added to the forums, allowing you to change the interface language.

You will find the language settings at the bottom left of every page, just next to the style settings.

We have also added a new style called "Larger Fonts", which is exactly the same as the default style except that it uses slightly larger fonts. This makes the Chinese interface more readable for Windows users. (Mac users will find that the Chinese characters are still readable even at a small size, so we can continue using the default style :mrgreen:).

Edit: (It would appear that under Windows only Firefox has problems with the smaller Chinese fonts. IE and Opera seem to work just fine using the default style too).

Edit 2:For Firefox users wanting the default font sizes, and who also want readable Chinese characters, the setting to change is: Tools->Options->Content, Fonts&Colours->Default Font->Advanced, Fonts For->Simplified Chinese->Minimum Font Size. 12 seems to be a reasonable size.

Anyway, enjoy, and if you encounter any problems using the new language interfaces, this is the place to let us know.

• 4 weeks later...

I noticed that when I got a reply from one of the Atkins.

Cool. I want to change mine to wingdings. Ha!



• 1 month later...

Is it possible for this to be set as a board preference rather than as a cookie? I notice that every time I use a new computer I have to set the language to Chinese, as it defaults to US. Which would be ok, but the University computers (not that I use them often, admittedly) don't store cookies, and thus I'd have to change it each and every time... :(

Nope, I tested it by clearing all cookies in Safari. Setting the value in Firefox, and then loggin in via Safari. The interface correctly switched to Chinese when logged in. One thing to note though is that if set, the cookie will override the setting here.