Chinese-Forums

画龙点睛 - an English translation

Alamira

Ni hao!

I have a problem with translation:cry:. I can understand each word separately in this short text but it is difficult to me to understand the meaning of whole that phrase. The text is:

这个成语常常指写文章或说话的时候用一两句重要的话,把意思说得更清

楚。如:这句话起到了‘画龙点睛’的作用。

Can somebody help me?

Xie xie.

Alamira

This is in no way intended to be a translation but more of an off the collar translation/explanatino:

This chengyu is often used in writing or speaking using one or two important sentences, to help the meaning be said clearer, ie This sentence is about "putting the eyes on the dragon's" usage.

If you are asking about the chengyu "putting the eyes on the dragon", the eyes are the "most" important part and in a sense give "life" to the drawing. So you need it to complete the drawing.

well , there will be a lot of mistakes in following context,but i am trying my best.

画龙点睛

画龙 paint a dragon,点睛 paint the eye.

that is a story ,

there was an famous artist,good at painting dragons.he painted many pics of dragon,but none of them are finished,there are no eyes on those dragons.and one day,an official (lord) want him to finish one painting and forced him to do so.

he painted the eyes and then the dragon comes live!

so ....make one thing perfect

when talking about 'sb's work or effort make one thing perfect ' you can use “画龙点睛之笔” to describe his job.