Chinese-Forums

Learning from scratch

ironbadger

Hi, I'm planning on studying Chinese for two years at Beijing Foreign Studies University. However, I have no experience with the language and am worried that it might be wiser to study at home for a while before going. On the other hand maybye its better to just go and learn from the beginning in Beijing. If anyone has any advice I'd be very grateful. :help

Cheers

I don't think any prior experience of the language is needed (unless required by your course). Some basic knowledge may help (Pimsleur again~ search older posts for more info please), but once you get into China, everything will be much easier.

I bought a Vietnamese textbook in year 2000 and had finished only one lesson, then once I came to Vietnam, I finished the whole book in 2.5 months.

Welcome to China.

I think you don't have to learn much Chinese before coming to China.

Some common Chinese dialogues, just as greetings, turning to sb for help, will help you a lot in China.

So if you have enough time you can learn these dialogues in your hometown first.

It doesn't matter that you go to China without any Chinese knowledge, since many Chinese, especially the student in your School, can speak English well.