Chinese-Forums

Reading my book

SeekerOfPeace

Ok, on to p.55, out of 220.

汤姆现在完全是水陆两xi了。

For some reason, I can't find the xi character in the typing database. It's a compound both 木 and 西.

水陆两x, 就是能在陆地上生活,也能在水里游泳,好像河马一样。

He was an amphibian, capable on going on dry land as well as swimming in the water, just like an hippotamus.

由于水陆两xi的缘故,汤姆现在变得非常清洁。

Because Tom had become an amphibian, he was really clean.

他有生以来第一次觉得,身上什么都不穿是多么舒适。

Ever since birth, this was the first time his body ever felt so comfortable.

他现在快乐极了,原先的那些不幸,疲劳,饥饿,挨打或者被逼着去爬黑暗的烟囱,全都忘记了。

He was so happy at that point in time, before he thought he had been unlucky, tired and hungry, beaten maybe even forced to climb the dark chimney, but everything was forgotten now.

连他自己从葛林那里,以及从他平日一起玩耍的野孩子那里学来的脏话也全都忘记了。

Not sure about the meaning of that sentence.

汤姆在水里过得很快乐。

"Tom was very happy to be in the water."

他在陆地上工作得太累了。

His work on the dry land made him very tired.

Someone indicated:

As for 曲膝礼, it refers the action to kneel to someone (kings, noblemen, etc.) to show respect

For 曲膝礼, "curtsy" was probably intended.

Also, for 约翰爵爷 (or "Duke John"), I wonder whether "Sir John" might be intended.

For some reason, I can't find the xi character in the typing database. It's a compound both 木 and 西.

Would the reason be that the character 栖 is pronounced qi1 in this context, not xi?

PS - My dictionaries say that 棲‘s alternative pronunciation xi is used in descriptions of being busy and/or unstable, examples are 棲棲, 棲惶.

Somewhere (probably from Jade-), I saw:

无论如何,让我们假设世界上是有仙女的好了。

in any case, let us assume that they were the best fairies in the world.

Try this translation:

In any case, let us assume that there are fairies in this [the] world.

好了 here doesn't mean 'good' or 'best', but more something like 'let's just...' or '...and be done with it'. Literary, it would be something like '[let us suppose there are fairies in the world] and then it's okay'.

I hope this helps!

Wonderful thread! This is how I like to learn Chinese, reading something that is somewhat interesting, but with a close look at the grammar and vocabulary to see how the language actually works. You also seem to be getting some great help form Jade and others about many points that I struggle with. Your level seems comparable to mine in many respects, but I think I can also help with a few points.

Ok this is by no means a literal translation but I'm having a hard time putting

行了一个很深的曲膝礼

into English. According to Wenlin, 曲膝礼 means courtesy. WenLin is a bit unclear about 行了, I'm guessing it kind of means approve or something? WenLin says it means: "That's all right, ok" but I think it has meaning in substance rather than through literal translation.

I am a great fan of Wenlin, but here I think they made a slight mistake. I also think they meant "curtsey," rather than "courtesy." 行了 means "performed" or "carried out." The phrase should then mean: "performed a deep curtsey."

约翰爵爷只说了这么一句, 就咬紧牙关再不开口了.

Duke John simpy listened to this sentence, he had to hold his lip (endure this) or else he would start taking (open his mouth).

How about: "Sir John said just this one sentence, and then bit his lip and wouldn't say another word."

他们看见水里面有一个黑东西, 说那是汤姆身体, 他已经淹死了, 于是一个个难受得说不出话来.

They saw a black object in the water, they naturally (instinctively) thought that it was Tom's body, that he had drowned, consequently everyone felt sad and nobody said anything.

Ok, I'm really sorry but about 得 I still don't get it. Trust me, it's not from lack of trying.

Now, I understand the meaning of this sentence here, but I would be hard pressed to use it in a sentence, that's for sure.

For the use of 得 as a particle, try equating it with "get to the point of." Depending on context, "get" may have to be "and gets," "getting," "got," or even "would get." For example:

他跑步跑得很快. *He runs step runs getting very fast. When he jogs, he jogs, getting to the point of being very fast. He jogs very fast.

昨天他写信写得很好. *Yesterday he write letter, write getting to the point of being very good. Writing the letter yesterday, he wrote, getting to the point of being very good. Yesterday, he wrote the letter well.

他们跳得过去. *They jump? get to the point of going past. If they jumped, they would get to the point of going across. They can jump across.

My explanations may seem somewhat [POP=~千回百转]convoluted[/POP] , but they may help explain such things as why you don't say *他跑步不跑得很快 (*When he jogs, he doesn't jog and gets to the point of being very fast) and *他们不跳得过去 (*When they don't jump, they get across). Instead you have to say: 他跑步跑得不很快 (When he jogs, he jogs and gets to the point of not being very fast) and 他们跳不过去 (If they jump, they do not get across.)

In translation, you can follow this strategy. If what comes before 得 describes an actual action or state, then look at what follows. If it is simply an adjective, use an English adverb to translate it. If what follows is a phrase, use "so (....), that..." or "so that....") For example, 于是一个个难受得说不出话来 Thereupon/As a result everyone felt so

unhappy that they couldn't talk any more. If what comes before 得 describes an action or state that is merely projected or imagined, then see if what follows is simply a verbal complement. If it is, then this is a "potential" construction and you should use "can" in your translation.

Note that the forms "現在他吃" and "他吃", while still "grammatical", are usually avoided because of their apparent "abruptness", unless there is some element of contrast

Thank you SWWLiu for this explanation. I had suspected as much, but it is nice to see it so clearly explained.

由于水陆两xi的缘故,汤姆现在变得非常清洁。

Because Tom had become an amphibian, he was really clean.

How about: "Due to being amphibious, Tom had now become extremely clean." I guess this is to contrast with him being a chimney sweep before.

他有生以来第一次觉得,身上什么都不穿是多么舒适。

Ever since birth, this was the first time his body ever felt so comfortable.

How about: "Since he being born, this was the first time he felt so comfortable with nothing on."

他现在快乐极了,原先的那些不幸,疲劳,饥饿,挨打或者被逼着去爬黑暗的烟囱,全都忘记了。

He was so happy at that point in time, before he thought he had been unlucky, tired and hungry, beaten maybe even forced to climb the dark chimney, but everything was forgotten now.

How about: "He was so happy now! Those former misfortunes: fatigue, hunger, being beaten or being forced to climb dark chimneys, were all forgotten.

无论如何,让我们假设世界上是有仙女的好了。

in any case, let us assume that they were the best fairies in the world.

Try this translation:

In any case, let us assume that there are fairies in this [the] world.

How about this (as a compromise that might make the sense of the Chinese clearer): "In any case, it would be best if we let ourselves assume that this is a world with fairies in/on it."

Not to spoil all the translating fun, but you do know that the copyright for the original English novel has long since expired and you can find the original novel in many places online?

These passages seem quite familiar:

And all the while he never saw the Irishwoman, not behind him this

time, but before.

For just before he came to the river side, she had stept down into

the cool clear water; and her shawl and her petticoat floated off

her, and the green water-weeds floated round her sides, and the

white water-lilies floated round her head, and the fairies of the

stream came up from the bottom and bore her away and down upon

their arms; for she was the Queen of them all; and perhaps of more

besides.

When they came to the old dame's school, all the children came out

to see. And the old dame came out too; and when she saw Sir John,

she curtsied very low, for she was a tenant of his.

"Well, dame, and how are you?" said Sir John.

However that may be, Tom was amphibious: and what is better still,

he was clean. For the first time in his life, he felt how

comfortable it was to have nothing on him but himself. But he only

enjoyed it: he did not know it, or think about it; just as you

enjoy life and health, and yet never think about being alive and

healthy; and may it be long before you have to think about it!

He did not remember having ever been dirty. Indeed, he did not

remember any of his old troubles, being tired, or hungry, or

beaten, or sent up dark chimneys. Since that sweet sleep, he had

forgotten all about his master, and Harthover Place, and the little

white girl, and in a word, all that had happened to him when he

lived before; and what was best of all, he had forgotten all the

bad words which he had learned from Grimes, and the rude boys with

whom he used to play.

I'm glad more people are joining in.

I don't know whether or not I should say thank you for every reply, but:

thank you!

Know that should I forget to type those two words, it doesn't mean that I'm not grateful for all the tremendous, free knowledge I'm getting here.

Ok well, here we go:

他在陆地上工作得太累了, 所以现在他在水里世界有一段很长时间的假期。

His work on the dry land made him very tired, so now that he was in the water, his whole life was going to be one long holiday.

Ok, 世界 means world, but in this context I'm guessing it means "whole life" rather than "world", or maybe "the world would be one long holiday"? That's also possible.

Not too sure about the function of 段 here as it means "section, paragraph" according to Wenlin.

Or should it be:

"This part of the world underwater would be one long holiday for him."

That could explain the function of 段.

Uncertain as to which one of those two translation is the most accurate.

他除了尽情享受,看看水里许多美丽的东西,什么事都用不着坐。

Apart from having fun, he looked underwater at many beautiful things, no matter what there was no need to sit.

I've switched "inside the water" for "underwater" as it seems less cumbersome.

I don't know the function of 外 there after 东西。Doesn't mean the appearance of something, it's outer side, it's surface so to speak?

I might be wrong about this part: 什么事都用不着坐。

在水里,水温既不太冷,也不太热,真是个清凉的世界阿。

Underwater, since the temperature (the water's temperature) wasn't too cold or too hot, it really was a refreshing world.

Not sure as to the function of 既 there. I would say "since".

汤姆有时候沿着平坦的铺了沙的水路行走,看那些在石头中间钻进钻出的蟋蟀。

Tom had time to follow the flat, sandy shore and walk about the waterway, look between stones at the crickets coming out of there.

Hmm... not too confident here.

Let's take things one step at a time,

I'm certain that:

汤姆有时候 means "Tom had time to..."

沿着平坦的铺了沙的水路行走

沿着 means following as it the verb here. So Tom now to had time to follow...

铺 means

铺(F鋪) [pū] spread, unfold; pave [pù] shop, store; plank bed;

Now I don't see how that 铺 fits in here. What follows the 的 should be a noun here and 平坦 is the adjective that should describe what comes after 的 this case 铺

沙 is sand. But even then, that doesn't explain the function of 了 there.

So all of this:

汤姆有时候沿着平坦的铺了沙的水路行走

describes the water route.

Also, why is 行走 doing there? Why is that verb doing there?

So basically, I'm confused about this.

I'm certain that:

汤姆有时候 means "Tom had time to..."

'Xcept that's not what it means... 有時候 means 'sometimes'. 'Tom sometimes...'. (There's a song by Wang Fei 王菲 that goes 有時候,有時候 all the time. '紅豆', video and lyrics here.)
Not sure as to the function of 既 there.
'Since' will do fine here. 既 is mostly a word to put two sentences together.
他除了尽情享受,看看水里许多美丽的东西外,什么事都用不着坐。
Two 'patterns' in this sentence:

1) 他除了尽情享受,看看水里许多美丽的东西,什么事都用不着坐。

除了XYZ(以)外 means 'apart from XYZ', in which 除了 comes at the front of the sentence and 外 or 以外 at the end (it's also left out sometimes). So whenever you see a 除了, look for the 以外 and things will start to make more sense.

2) 他除了尽情享受,看看水里许多美丽的东西外,什么用不着坐。

Here it means there was nothing to sit on.

Not sure how to explain this pattern, but I can give a few examples and hope you can see the idea:

什麼都不會 can't do anything at all

什麼都不喜歡 doesn't like anything at all

什麼也找不到 couldn't find anything. Here 也 has the same function as 都.

Lastly, I'd translate 水里世界 as 'the underwater world'.

Even though it's no hassle to answer the questions (where I can), and it's good in itself to see you keep reading, your thanks are much appreciated!

I've slowed down the translation for a bit as I've started teaching again.

I'd like to go back on a few things.

About 既。

Could anyone provide a few more examples of that character? I mean how to use it in sentences and such.

Could I say:

在我的家乡,既我没有问题,我天天快乐。

At my hometown, since I have no problems, I'm happy every day.

Probably not right, but I have to start practicing sentence patterns and structures.

他除了尽情享受,看看水里许多美丽的东西外,什么事都用不着坐。

除了XYZ(以)外 means 'apart from XYZ', in which 除了 comes at the front of the sentence and 外 or 以外 at the end (it's also left out sometimes). So whenever you see a 除了, look for the 以外 and things will start to make more sense.

Just out of curiousity:

WenLin gives the following example for 除了:

∼ diànnǎo, tā duì shénme dōu bù gǎn xìngqu. Apart from computer, he's not interested in anything.

There doesn't seem to be any 以外 so I'm guessing that's an exception, like you mentioned (being left out).

Am I right in saying that's an exception? I mean, is 除了 used most of the time with 以外 or is it missing most of the time?

Very clear explanation, thank you.

2) 他除了尽情享受,看看水里许多美丽的东西外,什么事都用不着坐。

Here it means there was nothing to sit on.

Not sure how to explain this pattern, but I can give a few examples and hope you can see the idea:

除了尽情享受,看看水里许多美丽的东西

Ah! I think I think I understand what you mean. So everything between 除了 and 外 is apart from that.

In other words, apart from enjoying himself AND looking at many beautiful things...

This is where I made my mistake before as I didn't take 看看水里许多美丽的东西 into consideration even though it was right before the 外。

I think I understand the pattern. Could you explain why 也 here is used instead of 都?

About this:

汤姆在水里过得很快乐。

In translation, you can follow this strategy. If what comes before 得 describes an actual action or state, then look at what follows. If it is simply an adjective, use an English adverb to translate it. If what follows is a phrase, use "so (....), that..." or "so that....") For example, 于是一个个难受得说不出话来 Thereupon/As a result everyone felt so

unhappy that they couldn't talk any more. If what comes before 得 describes an action or state that is merely projected or imagined, then see if what follows is simply a verbal complement. If it is, then this is a "potential" construction and you should use "can" in your translation.

Ok, now, I'm going to try to do this one step at a time.

Let's look at what follows 得:

快乐=adj. happy.

So, as you said, it's simply an adjective so I should just use an English verb to translate it. By "it" I'm guessing you are referring to 快乐? So I should twist this adjective into an adverb? Because I don't see how "happy" can be used apart from an adjective or an adverb (happily).

Clarifications?

有时候, 他躲在一处幽静的角落,仔细观察那些蜉蝣的幼虫吃枯树枝,就像小朋友吃饼干一样,吃得非常欢,真有趣阿。

Sometimes he hides in the corner of a secluded and quiet place, observing attentively the mayfly larva eating a withered tree, just like the way children eat some cookies, eating the point of getting happy, it was truly interesting.

What is the difference between 一处 and 地方?

Quote:

Could I say:

在我的家乡,既我没有问题,我天天快乐。

At my hometown, since I have no problems, I'm happy every day.

No. The pattern "既……,也……" means "both ... and ...". The negative "既不……,也不……" means "neither... nor...".

Am I right in saying that's an exception? I mean, is 除了 used most of the time with 以外 or is it missing most of the time?
The pattern is used both with and without the 外, I wouldn't say that either is an exception.
Ah! I think I think I understand what you mean. So everything between 除了 and 外 is apart from that.

In other words, apart from enjoying himself AND looking at many beautiful things...

You got it! :-)
I think I understand the pattern. Could you explain why 也 here is used instead of 都?
...No, can't really explain it. The pattern works with either 也 or 都, both are fine. There's probably a subtle difference between the two, but mostly they are interchangable in this case.

Ok thanks.

Sorry I edited my previous post, here's what I added so that it doesn't go unnoticed:

汤姆在水里过得很快乐。

Quote:

快乐=adj. happy.

So, as you said, it's simply an adjective so I should just use an English verb to translate it. By "it" I'm guessing you are referring to 快乐? So I should twist this adjective into an adverb? Because I don't see how "happy" can be used apart from an adjective or an adverb (happily).

Clarifications?

Sometimes he hides in the corner of a secluded and quiet place, observing attentively the mayfly larva eating a withered tree, just like the way children eat some cookies, eating the point of getting happy, it was truly interesting.

Here's some more:

后来, 有一只蜉蝣的幼虫找到一根稻草,差不多有它自己五倍那样长。

Afterwards, once a mayfly larva has been found, it is five times longer than a rice straw.

Now, I know this is wrong, but I can't find no other way to translate it.

它把稻草放在自己的脊背上,得意样样地拖着稻草到处跑,虽然不方便,可它不管。

It grabs the rice straw and releases its own back, proudly pulling the rice straw everywhere, even though it's not convenient it pays no attention to it.

EDIT: Some more.

这样一来,那条河里的小虫子们全都行起尾巴来。

No clue as to how to translate this.

这样一来:Therefore, by doing this.

And I can't make sense of the rest, even with my dictionary. There's something about inside the river, and all of the insects but I can't get a good translation for the sentence.

Is 一处 mostly used as a measure word for places?

虽然已经是五月天气,它们屁股后面都拖着一根长长的稻草,跌跌撞撞到处跑,尾巴夹在腿中间,不是我跌在你身上,就是你撞在我身上,非常可笑,把汤姆笑得连眼泪都流出来了。

Although it was already may, they were all dragging their butts and the rice stalk, staggering along...

then it's something about colliding into something and the whole thing being ridiculous and Tom laughing until tears were overflowing.

你要知道,水底下的东西都会讲话,不是我们讲的那种话,而是像马阿,狗阿,牛啊,鸟啊它们自己交谈的那种话。

You know, all of the things at the bottom of the water can all speak, we're not the only one who can speak, even horses, dogs, cows, and birds can converse that way.

Could someone give me more examples of the 而是 construction please?

汤姆不久也学会了它们交谈。

Tom soon mastered how to talk like them (converse like them?).

如果汤姆是个好孩子,他可以较到许多合意的朋友。

If Tom was a good boy, he would have a lot of friends.

(I'm really not sure about 交到 here as it means "hand over". If I were to translate literally it would be something like: "If Tom was a good guy, he could hand over a lot of friends?)

(Also, what is the function of 合意? How exactly do you use it in context?)

他惜的是,他也跟别的小男孩一样,都喜欢以捕捉和虐待动物取乐。

He cherished this, he also was just like any young boy, as he enjoyed catching mistreating all kinds of animals.

如果汤姆是个好孩子,他可以较到许多合意的朋友。

If Tom was a good boy, he would have a lot of friends.

(I'm really not sure about 交到 here as it means "hand over". If I were to translate literally it would be something like: "If Tom was a good guy, he could hand over a lot of friends?)

交朋友means 'to make friends'. Here the word is not 交到, 到 is to indicate an 'arrival' or result: Tom makes 交 a lot of friends and 'arrives' 到 at having a lot of friends.

I hope this helps!

他躲在一处幽静的角落

Is 一处 mostly used as a measure word for places?

Here 一 is the number and 处 is the classifier. 一处..角落 is the same usage as 一棵树,一个苹果。In this sentence, 一处 and 地方 are not interchangeable, but 地方 and角落 are interchangeable. 他躲在一处幽静的角落 can be replaced by他躲在一个幽静的地方。

However, sometimes 一处 does mean “a place”. For example:

他们发现一处有许多桃树 – They found out a place with a lot of peach trees

一处 in this sentence is actually a pronoun for 地方, so when 地方 is omitted, the 一处 is changed from a measure phrase to a pronoun.

你要知道,水底下的东西都会讲话,不是我们讲的那种话,而是像马阿,狗阿,牛啊,鸟啊它们自己交谈的那种话。

You know, all of the things at the bottom of the water can all speak, we're not the only one who can speak, even horses, dogs, cows, and birds can converse that way.

Could someone give me more examples of the 而是 construction please?

->You know, all of the things at the bottom of the water can all speak, not like the way we speak/communicate, but the way like the horses, dogs, cows, birds talking among themselves.

而是 = but. Examples:

我们不是不想吃,而是不能吃。It is not that we don’t want to eat, but we cannot eat.

她不是去了北京,而是上海。 She did not go to Beijing, but went to Shanghai.

他们不是来工作的,而是来度假的。They don’t come here for work, but for vacation.

汤姆向水里那些可怜的动物扔石子,叫骂着赶走它们,弄得那些小东西非常惨;后来小东西全都怕了他,都远躲开他,或者爬进自己的外壳里去。

Tom threw some stones to the poor animals underwater, shouting curses to drive them away, what happed to them was very tragic. After all of the little things got scared, they all got out of the way, maybe hiding inside their shells.

What is the function of 弄 here? Wenlin identifies it as "alley", but I don't really see where it all fits in here...

这样一来,汤姆就找不到一个他谈话或者玩耍的对象了,处境非常孤独。

Therefore Tom couldn't find a single one to talk to or to play with. This put him in a very lonely situation.

当然啦,那些水里的仙女,看到它这么不快活都很难过,都想帮助他,告诉他不要淘气,要学会礼貌待人,并且也想和他一起游戏玩耍,可是仙后禁止她们真么做。

Of course, those fairies underwater saw that the little things were unhappy and were having a hard time, they all wanted to help him, told him they don't want him to be mischevious (a trouble maker), to behave politely towards other people, besides they also wanted to play a game with him however the queen had fordibben them to do that.

汤姆必须通过自己的亲身经历来学会判别什么是好的,什么是不好的。

Through his own personal experience, Tom had to learn to differenciate what is good from what isn't.

小孩子就是这样,能教他们的只有他们自己。

Kids are that way, they can only learn on their own.

有一天,汤姆在河堤底下发现了一个非常肮脏的丑东西,大约有他一半高,长着六条腿和一个大肚子,还有一个难看得要命的脑袋,一张长驴脸上凸着两个大大的眼睛。

One day, as Tom was the bottom of the river bank, he discovered an extremely ugly and dirty thing, a kind of small thing, with six legs and a big belly, it was so ugly it would could kill you,on its hateful face were two big eyes.

“噢“ 汤姆说,“你可真丑!“ 然后就对着它做起鬼脸来。

"Woah" Tom said, "How can you be so ugly!?" right after it had made a grimace.

他把鼻子凑过去,发出 ”噢喔“的怪声,一点也没有礼貌。

He pulled his nose away, issuing a weird sound, trying to be courteous.

Really not sure about this translation.

说时迟,那时快,那个驴脸忽然不见了,从那里伸出一个带钳子的长长的手臂,一下子夹住了汤姆的鼻子,夹得非常紧,把汤姆弄得痛死了。

He hesitated to talk and then that funny face suddenly disappeared. he used some long tweezers to help him, in one strike it grabbed Tom's nose, clasped it extremely tight, causing Tom incredible suffering.

I don't understand the part about the tweezers. It might actually relate to the pincers of the thing that grabbed Tom's nose, rather than Tom fooling around with the thing and getting hurt in the process.

汤姆在水里过得很快乐。

Quote:

In translation, you can follow this strategy. If what comes before 得 describes an actual action or state, then look at what follows. If it is simply an adjective, use an English adverb to translate it...

Endquote

快乐=adj. happy.

Clarifications?

In this case, 过 is short for 过日子. No word can be used between the verb and 得, however, and so日子 has been dropped. 在水里 kind of serves as the object of 过 instead.

汤姆在水里过得很快乐。Tom passed the time in the water, getting to the point of being happy. Tom passed the time in the water happily. Tom had a happy time in the water.

How about: "Sometimes he hid in a secluded and quiet corner, observing attentively the mayfly larvae (midges?) eating a withered tree, just like the way children happily/merrily eat cookies. It was reallying fascinating.

后来, 有一只蜉蝣的幼虫找到一根稻草,差不多有它自己五倍那样长。

Afterwards, once a mayfly larva has been found, it is five times longer than a rice straw.

How about: "Later, there was a mayfly larva (midge?) that found a rice straw that was almost five times longer than it."

它把稻草放在自己的脊背上,得意样样地拖着稻草到处跑,虽然不方便,可它不管。

It grabs the rice straw and releases its own back, proudly pulling the rice straw everywhere, even though it's not convenient it pays no attention to it.

How about: "It put the rice straw onto its own back and ran around everywhere pulling the straw all pround of itself. Although it wasn't convenient, it didn't bother about it."

In this case 把 is simply a device to put the object in front of the verb and make space for the phrase beginning with 在.

这样一来,那条河里的小虫子们全都行起尾巴来。

No clue as to how to translate this.

I can't figure out want 行起来 means here, but the rest should be: "Therefore, the young bugs/worms in the river were X-ing their tails." Given the story, it might actually be: "As a result, for the young bugs/worms in the river, tails began to prevail."

虽然已经是五月天气,它们屁股后面都拖着一根长长的稻草,跌跌撞撞到处跑,尾巴夹在腿中间,不是我跌在你身上,就是你撞在我身上,非常可笑,把汤姆笑得连眼泪都流出来了。

Although it was already may, they were all dragging their butts and the rice stalk, staggering along...

then it's something about colliding into something and the whole thing being ridiculous and Tom laughing until tears were overflowing.

How about: "Although it was already May weather, they were dragging really long straws behind their bottoms, running around staggering with their tails between their legs and falling over each other. It was really funny, making Tom laugh so hard that tears ran down his cheeks."

(Also, what is the function of 合意? How exactly do you use it in context?)

How about "suitable" or maybe "likeable"? 他可以较到许多合意的朋友 = He could make many suitable friends.

他惜的是,他也跟别的小男孩一样,都喜欢以捕捉和虐待动物取乐。

He cherished this, he also was just like any young boy, as he enjoyed catching mistreating all kinds of animals.

How about: "What he cherished was that like other boys, he loved to amuse himself by catching and abusing animals.

What is the function of 弄 here? Wenlin identifies it as "alley", but I don't really see where it all fits in here

弄 can also mean "make" as in "make somebody do something." The basic meaning is "handle."

他把鼻子凑过去,发出 ”噢喔“的怪声,一点也没有礼貌。

He pulled his nose away, issuing a weird sound, trying to be courteous.

Really not sure about this translation.

I thing this is: "He pressed his nose close, making a weird oooh sound. It was really rude.

说时迟,那时快,那个驴脸忽然不见了,从那里伸出一个带钳子的长长的手臂,一下子夹住了汤姆的鼻子,夹得非常紧,把汤姆弄得痛死了。

He hesitated to talk and then that funny face suddenly disappeared. he used some long tweezers to help him, in one strike it grabbed Tom's nose, clasped it extremely tight, causing Tom incredible suffering.

How about: "It takes longer to tell it than how it happened. That hateful face suddenly disappeared. From there, a really long arm with pincers on it stretched out. All at once, it pinched Tom's nose really tight, giving Tom incredible pain."

“啊呀,噢,救命,放了我!"汤姆叫道.

1. "Ah! Owch! Somebody save me! Release me!" Tom called out.

"那你也要放过我,"那个东西说, "我要安静一会儿,我要蜕变了."

2. "You want me to let go of you", the thing said, "I want peace for a while..."

I don't understand the function of 蜕变 here. According to Wenlin, it means "transform" but I hardly see how it fits in here.

Unless it means that it was peaceful before but that Tom's interruption disturbed his peace?

汤姆保证说会让它安静,于是他被放开了.

3. Tom said that he guaranteed he would leave the thing in peace, therefore he wanted to be released.

汤姆静静地站着,看着那小东西.

4. Tom was standing quietly, looking at the thing.

它膨胀着,僵硬地向外挺着自己的身体, 最后"啪"的一声, 它的整个后背都裂开了,然后它的头露了出来.

5. It was expanding stiffly outwards, standing on it's own body, finally, with a loud bang, his entire back split open and it revealed what it was.

从那个被蜕下的身体里, 钻出了一个纤细,雅致,柔软的生命来,它无力地移动着自己的腿,腼腆地顾四周,就好像一个女孩子刚刚走进跳舞厅.

6. The inside of its body changed, and a very thin, refined and soft lifeform came out, it lacked the strength to move its own legs, it looked shyly everywhere, looking like a young girl who just walked into a ballroom.

然后, 它就慢慢地爬到一根伸出水面的草茎上去了.

7. After that, it reached out for the water's surface and climb onto a lilly.

What is the purpose of 根? I've encountered it many times and Wenlin just says it means "root". What is up with that?

当这个小东西坐在温暖的太阳光底下时,一种奇妙的变化开始发生了.

8. At the time that the thing was sitting under the sunlight, a kind of marvellous change began to happen.

它慢慢地变得坚硬和强壮起来,身上的颜色越来越漂亮, 蓝, 黄, 黑相间,有些是斑点,有些是条纹.

9. It became solid and robust, the colors of her body became really beautiful, blue, yellow and blackish, with dots and streaks all over.

从它的背上伸出了四只透明的褐色大翅膀,它的两只大眼睛占据了整个脑袋,就像上千颗钻石在同时发光那样明亮.

10. Four transparent brown wings sprouted from its back, only the two big eyes ocuupied the face, it looked like a thousand diamonds shining all at once.

"噢,你多漂亮啊!"汤姆说,他伸出手想去抓住它.

11. "Oh! You're so pretty! He reached out a hand to grab it."

可那小东西 "呼"地飞到了空中,平展着翅膀在那里停留了一会儿,然后又大胆地落在了汤姆身边.

12. The thing shouted and flew into the open sky where is stayed for a while, it again flew dangerously close to Tom's reach.

"不"它说道, "你不能捉我. 我现在是一只蜻蜓了,是所有飞虫的国王.

13. "No!" it said, "You can't grab be. I am now a simple dragon fly, a Winged King.

我要在阳光下飞舞,在河流上盘旋,去吃许许多多蚊子, 享受美好快乐的一生, 我知道自己要做些什么.

14. The important thing is dancing in the air with the sunshine, circle over the water, go eat a lot of mosquitoes, enjoy an happy life, I know what I want to do on my own.

妙啊!" 于是他飞上天空,开始捕捉蚊子。

15. "Wonderful!" It consequently began flying in the sky and started catching some mosquitoes.

"噢!回来,回来, 求你了,” 汤姆叫道,“漂亮的小东西。

16. "Oh! Come back, come back, I beg of you!" Tom called out, "beautiful thing."

我没有一个朋友,我在这里很孤单。

17. I don't have a single friend here, I'm very lonely (or I'm all alone).

如果你愿意回来了,我不会再捉你了。

18. If you're willing to come back, I won't try to grab you again.

“我不在乎,“蜻蜓说道,“你捉不到我的。

19. I don't care, the dragonfly aid, you can't grab me anyway (it's impossible for you to grab me).

不过等我吃过了晚饭,再去四处看一看风景之后,我还会回来的!

20. However, you can wait until I'm finished my dinner and I will once again go and look at the scenery, after I'll come back (after that I'll be able to come back).

过了,不久,那只蜻蜓真的又回来了,并且和汤姆聊起天来。

21. After this, before long, the dragon fly really came back, besides Tom...

Can't translate this for sure.

它滔滔不绝地谈论着自己在树林和草地上看到的那些奇妙的事物。

22. It was talking on and on,discussing how he had been in woods and meadows, saying that looking at it from above they were really wonderful things.

可喜的是,这回汤姆因祸得福:受了一个深刻的教训,被夹疼了鼻子,结果交到一个朋友,使得他很久都没再去虐待动物。

23. This was encouraging, Tom had gotten something good of this apparently bad event, he learned an important lesson by having his nose squeezed, as a result, he gained a friend, that would cause him to go for a very long time without harming animals.

后来河里其他的小东西也跟他和好了(它们虽然被汤姆吓了一下,而且吃了不少苦头,可是不久就忘记了)。

24. Afterwards, the other small thing in the river felt better about what happened (although they were frigthened by Tom for a while, they also had suffered because of him, however they quickly forgot about what had happened).

有一阵子,汤姆喜欢捉毛毛虫。

25. There was a burst of anger when Tom grabbed a caterpillar.

汤姆时常和它们玩猫捉老鼠的游戏,玩得非常开心。

26. Tom and the small things often played cat and mouse, they played until made them really happy (I find that saying: They played and it made them happy" a better translation.)

他还捉到些赤蝇,飞蛾,蜘蛛和短尾的蜉蝣,全送给他的鳟鱼朋友吃。

27. He also caught some red flies, moth, spiders and a short tailed mayfly, he gave them all as a present to his friend the trout.

也许他对这些飞虫太残忍了一点,可是为了帮助朋友,汤姆就没想那么多啦!

28. Maybe he was a bit cruel to those insects, however, for the sake of helping a friend, Tom didn't mind it much.

29. 有一天,汤姆连飞虫也不去捉了,愿意是他碰巧和其中一个飞虫做了朋友,发现它是个有趣的小家伙。

One day, Tom couldn't find any insects to catch, he thought he was lucky to have made friends among the insects, he found out that the insects thoght he was one interesting little boy.