Chinese-Forums

Sherlock Holmes

johnmck

Having found dialogue easier to read than narrative, when looking for foreign language books to read I have always searched for books with a high percentage of dialogue. I have found that detective stories tend to have the highest percentage of dialogue.

Finding it difficult to find bilingual Chinese-English books I have decided to make one myself. Hence I have searched the web for detective stories that are both in Chinese and English. The copyright on the Sherlock Holmes stories expired long ago (hence they are available on the internet free of charge), coupled with the fact that they are translated in a large number of languages makes them ideal.

Once you have downloaded the texts in the two different languages it is easy to copy the texts into two windows and adding appropriate line breaks. Then if you merge the copies so that the Chinese text is on the even pages and the English text on the odd, you will be able to print out a bilingual book. This process is fairly quick

Finding the stories in Chinese is extremely difficult though, but I finally found them yesterday. They can be found at:

http://disk.lookinto.cn/newshare.aspx?page=50

and are the files:

ts024037.pdf

ts024038.pdf

ts024039.pdf

It is easy to find the files in English (or any other common language) for those who want to build-up a book to read.

I had at one point an excellent English and Chinese book version of Sherlock Holmes that I found at Wangfujing...which unfortunately disappeared during one of my numerous moves. However (being that I immensely dislike reading novels online) the Chinese version of the adventures, return and memiors of Sherlock holmes are also easily found in Chinese book stores.

Now, however, I just watch the dvd's and the translation on them is actually not too bad...

• 4 weeks later...