Chinese-Forums

BOTM February 2008 - 《停车暂借问》

imron

In case they're of any use, the attached archive has the entire text from studentyoung's links in both .doc and mobipocket format. In my experience Mobipocket won't handle Chinese files on Palm, but does on PPC and desktop.

Just under 90,000 characters in this one, so aim for about 3,000 per day, statistics fans!

Feb BOTM doc and mobi.rar

• 3 weeks later...

I had some time this morning so I read Part I, the story of the ill-fated romance between Zhao Ningjing (赵宁静) and Yoshida Chie (I believe that's his name: 吉田千重) in 1944, shortly before Japan withdraws from China. This part of the book apparently didn't make it into the 2001 screen adaptation A Pinwheel Without Wind that starred Zhou Xun and Jeff Chang.

Some notes:

- The overall narrative style reminded me of traditional fiction

- I enjoyed the realistic details of life in the northeast - the local dialect, foods, and characterization.

But not much else specific. I think it works as a tragic love story, and I'm interested in reading about Ningjing's next romantic escapade.

If we actually are able to find a book that EVERYBODY likes I will be amazed!!! It's impossible for everyone to like every book. So in that sense it is good that we have a very wide variety so that in the end there is at least something that will grab on or two peoples attention.

I personally didn't get past the first two paragraphs this month for pretty much the same reasons as Imron. School starts up on Monday so then I should have more time to read (it sounds like an oxymoron I know!)

But not much else specific. I think it works as a tragic love story, and I'm interested in reading about Ningjing's next romantic escapade.

Perhaps because I finished the whole book, I think there is at least two tragic love stories in Miss Zhao’s life, one was with 吉田千重, the other was with 林爽然. (I like these two boys, too, especially 吉田千重, whose characters seem quite familiar to me. Hehe. :mrgreen: ) In my opinion, the book shows how hard a girl chose her true love in a war time and how deeply her choices on love affected her life-time.

Hehe, I think the book is more suitable for girls than boys. Hehe.

Cheers!

Shadowdh:

perhaps some suggestions regarding books to read?

read classics

1) Chinese classics

They may be difficult to read for the beginners and intemediate learners. that doesn't matter, as there are siplified versions for teenages of the native Chinese. Some of them are even with Pinyin.

2) World -wide classics

Almost all the famous classics of the world have the Chinese version. You might have read same of them in your native language, then choose these books in Chinese. The dvantages of doing so are obvious, first it them are easier to understand because you know the story already, secondly it quickly offers you means to express idea or knowledge you already have.

In my view, learning a language by an adult should be basically different from the mastering of mother longue by a native child.

The idea that one should learn a language the way a child learn his/her mother tongue is totally a misleading one.

Extra suggestion for those who are particularly fond of the story:

Do read romance books by Qiong Yao (A lady in Taiwan who wrote many love stories that earned a lot of tears from teenage girls all over the Chinese circle) which should be more formal in grammer and with less mistakes there, thus more helpful to your Chinese.