Chinese-Forums

(Yet another!) Name Assistance Request

darcey

你好,

Here is--yet another!-- request for assistance with a name. Hopefully I'll be able to start contributing to the forums soon, but right now I do have to come with a question.. :help

I have been given 2 Chinese names during my language studies; both were given to me by my Chinese instructors (both men, expatriates from Nanjing and Shanghai). The first name I was given was 孔 丽苹 ; the second was 孔丹夕.I am starting to study Chinese again and working more in the business world, and I would very much like to have a "good" Chinese name to use in business transactions. I am not necessarily looking for one that sounds like my English name (Darcey, and my surname starts with a "kun" sound,-hence the 孔; my surname has no meaning that anyone has been able to reliably find). I've been told that the first name (丽苹 ) is common and rather like "Mary" or "Jane"--it sounds outdated today. Then, I was told that the second name is only "okay" and maybe badly-omened/put together. I'm pretty certain trying to translate my first name wouldn't go too well, since "Darcey" either means "from Arcy" (a place in France), or "darkness"... which is probably not part of any auspicious girl's name!

If I had to pick my own name, I'm not sure what I would do since I know that names are a complicated matter. If I get to pick, I'd like something with "lotus" since they are one of my favorite flowers, and I know female names in China often have something to do with flowers--I just also know that the lotus is religiously significant (Buddhist & Taoist as well, if I recall correctly) so I'm not sure if it's appropriate to include in a girl's name. I also know there are several different ways to say and write lotus, so I can't even begin to think of what is good or not! :) Otherwise... I am a water boar in the Chinese zodiac, in the hour of the rooster, and I was born in the summer.

Any advice or suggestions would be very appreciated.

谢谢,

Darcey

hi

i am chinese student...i poor in english ..so i dont konw that are u can understand my words!

1.. ( I am not necessarily looking for one that sounds like my English name (Darcey, and my surname starts with a "kun" sound,-hence the 孔; my surname has no meaning that anyone has been able to reliably find). I've been told that the first name (丽苹 ) is common and rather like "Mary" or "Jane"--it sounds outdated today. )

maybe i can help u ..the first name is 孔 丽苹 ... i have a little same idea an you thought..

孔 丽苹 its pronunciation have no relation with your english name except 孔(kun)

but i think it is ok..the 孔 丽苹 is not bad...

2..孔丹夕 is not good name i think .cause i can recall a chinese idiom which is 危在旦夕.

丹夕 and 旦夕 have a same pronunciation

危在旦夕decrible sth/sb is in trouble and death /perdition ..

so i dont suggest you use this name

3...you had better not have a flower (花) in you chinese name ..cause it is vulgar

MSN:oiseeku@hotmail.com