Recent Chinese Movies

skylee

I am looking at my diary and my favourites this year (so far) are -

無間道 (Infernal Affairs - HK)

PTU (HK)

和你在一起 (Together, mainland)

藍色大門 (Blue Gate Crossing, Taiwan)

How about you?

'Together' is easily one of my favourite films - It's very rarely I actually feel moved by a film, but this one managed it.

Watched Beijing Bicycle recently - great film, but not one to watch if you are already feeling depressed.

Roddy

My recent fave is 'SO CLOSE' (HK) with Zhao Wei, Shu Qi and Karen Mok. Especially good if you like Asian girls with big guns, and who wouldn't? No actually it did have a reasonable plot and enough action scenes for some brain dead after work TV watching.

On a tangent, everyone might like to look at the http://bigwhiteguy.com website (blog from a Canadian living in HK). He has a section on Chinglish HK film subtitles which is very funny.

I watched Zhou Yu's Train last night (Zhou Yu de Huo Che), a mainland film with Gong Li. I liked it, even though I watched it without subtitles and found that it was a little hard to understand (the plot isn't quite linear). It was shot really nicely though, worth checking out if you're in China and can pick it up, don't think its available in the US as of yet.

My recent fave is 'SO CLOSE' (HK) with Zhao Wei, Shu Qi and Karen Mok. Especially good if you like Asian girls with big guns, and who wouldn't? No actually it did have a reasonable plot and enough action scenes for some brain dead after work TV watching.

You could put these three lovely ladies in a two hour long shampoo commercial and I would happily watch it. :D

My recent fave is 'SO CLOSE' (HK) with Zhao Wei' date=' Shu Qi and Karen Mok. Especially good if you like Asian girls with big guns, and who wouldn't? No actually it did have a reasonable plot and enough action scenes for some brain dead after work TV watching.[/quote']

You could put these three lovely ladies in a two hour long shampoo commercial and I would happily watch it. :D

Shu Qi already did some VCDs that are MUCH better than shampoo commercials (IMO)... :wink:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I am looking at my diary and my favourites this year (so far) are -

無間道 (Infernal Affairs - HK)

I tried to watch this on DVD - looked really good' date=' but then the DVD stopped working - looks like I've got another coaster for the coffee table.

Has anyone seen 'Artisan Pickpocket Xiao Wu?' (小武) or 'Going Home' (回家?) Just got both of these on DVD and can't decide which one to watch first (so will probably watch something entirely different)

Roddy

I have heard that there are different endings for 無間道 (Infernal Affairs). In the one released in HK (the one I have seen), evil prevails. In the one released in the Mainland, the opposite. I have not seen the Mainland version (I believe it is in Putonghua) and not sure if this is true. But don't you just love HK Police's uniform?

Because the movie was so well received, they are making parts 2 and 3 now. Part 2 will be released in HK on 1 October. The cast of this one is weaker. Part 3 will feature the same cast as in Part 1.

By the way, the movie 向左走,向右走 (Turn Left, Turn Right) is a big hit here in HK. It is quite a nice film, although it is a bit odd as the film was shot in Taiwan but everyone in the story speaks in Cantonese. Both 金城武 (Kaneshiro Takeshi) and 梁詠琪 (Gigi Leung) are exceptionally beautiful. And Gigi recites one of my favourite poems "卜算子" in the movie.

I bought the Infernal Affairs DVD and yes it has two different endings, although so far I've only seen one of them. I guess I saw the HK version since "evil prevailed". I was personally disappointed by the movie. I've heard rave reviews and that's why I forked out $21 + shipping to get a legit copy. I thought the basic story idea is wonderful but they didn't spend enough time developing the characters. This seems to be the trend for recent Chinese movies including So Close, starring Shu Qi, Zhao Wei, and Karen Mok. Maybe I'm just being too critical because I'm a Media Production major.

they didn't spend enough time developing the characters. This seems to be the trend for recent Chinese movies including So Close, starring Shu Qi, Zhao Wei, and Karen Mok

Personally, if I was making a movie starring Shu Qi, Zhao Wei, and Karen Mok, I wouldn't spend too much time developing characters either . . .

Roddy

>>Saw in Nanjing the other day that every VCD shop had put up the poster of a movie called Green Tea (綠茶) featuring Jiang Wen (姜文) and Zhao Wei (趙薇). Has anybody watched it? Is it good?

Green Tea is getting a lot of publicity up here in Beijing as well. I've got the DVD and it's in my ridiculously high 'to watch' pile - but at least it's near the top. I'll let you know what I think of it . . .

Roddy

they didn't spend enough time developing the characters. This seems to be the trend for recent Chinese movies including So Close, starring Shu Qi, Zhao Wei, and Karen Mok

Personally, if I was making a movie starring Shu Qi, Zhao Wei, and Karen Mok, I wouldn't spend too much time developing characters either . . .

Roddy

Have you seen the movie? The basic storyline is great. It has a good amount of potential. There were a couple emotional scenes where the director is trying to make you cry or at least feel sorry for the character but you just don't feel close enough to them.

Beijing Bicycle is playing on HBO in the states now. Definitly worth it.

I've got a movie that I haven't watched yet called 自梳 "Intimates." Has anyone seen it? It's supposedly a story of some lesbians in the 1940s, it's not really that recent I guess (1997). Anyone know if it's worth seeing?

I've got a movie that I haven't watched yet called 自梳 "Intimates." Has anyone seen it? It's supposedly a story of some lesbians in the 1940s, it's not really that recent I guess (1997). Anyone know if it's worth seeing?

i haven't seen it, but in a similar vein, i would like to see the recent beijing lesbian film jinnian xiatian/fish and elephant

• 2 weeks later...

I saw "So Close" recently and it is an entertaining movie. Great use of the Carpenters' "Close to You" during an elaborate fight scene at the beginning. The schmaltzy music is a little much in places, but that's not an unusual feature of Asian cinema (sweeping generalization I know, but so many film composers seem the need to scream "THIS PART IS REALLY, REALLY SAD" at you in their aural cues).

My favorite recent drama (although it is also a comedy) is Xizhao ("Shower"), a family drama set in contemporary Beijing. Great, great movie. Purchased the DVD unseen on the basis of recommendations and was most impressed. (Did the same thing with "A Chinese Ghost Story" and was quite disappointed.)

Mark