Chinese-Forums

Tsinghua And Peking University - International Student

kane0

Can anyone tell me the relative differences there are between Peking University and Tsinghua for Business (IMBA)? I'm looking at applying to some Chinese Universities, but only know of their character based on what I can find in English publications. As such, I lack somewhat of a local perspective. Are they both equally good or is one better than the other? CEIBS seems a lot less like a Chinese institution than a salary steppingstone. To me, pay does not necessarily trump experience. Please feel free to comment even if you only know the schools by name. Thanks. Kane

• 3 weeks later...

Since nobody else is answering, I'll try.

I haven't been to either, but my girlfriend is a Tsinghua alumna. She told me that both are basically equally prestigious. Tsinghua is more strongly geared towards science and engineering, and Beida is more strongly geared towards humanities. Tsinghua graduates are also far more likely to continue with postgraduate studies abroad, but this is somewhat specific to Tsinghua among Chinese universities.

A very apt comparison is MIT-Harvard, both are basically next-door to each other, and both very prestigious within their disciplines.

As for the respective quality of their business degrees, I can't say, but both universities are considered cream of the crop in China.

tsinghua is cambridge and beida is oxford, more or less. given the content of an mba tsinghua is probably stronger, but in terms of intl reputation it definitely has the edge. (only one "tsingua") you could try to find out with which of the two insead or any of the other renowned mba unis has links. that could point towards the better choice. but hey having an mba from oxford or cambridge, isnt it like choosing between diamond and gold?

• 2 years later...

Hi All,

I am a student ambassador from the Tsinghua IMBA class of 09. Regarding your post comparing Tsinghua and Beida, you are right in the sense that both are ranked top in the country. But when I was choosing which school to enroll, I was drawn to the networking potential at Tsinghua. I was particularly impressed by the Tsinghua SEM advisory board which is unmatched by any business schools in the world.

Let me know if you have any questions regarding the program. By the way, the application deadline for the class of 2010 is March 15th.

Tsinghua SAP