Chinese-Forums

"Yearbook" in Chinese

Entropy_Rising

Hi all,

I just returned from America to the school I'm teaching at and I lugged a few yearbooks as well as other various reading materials to form a library for my gao er (juniors in high school) classes. The yearbooks are important pieces of the library since they portray school life in America (which they are very interested in) and since I'm thinking of striking a deal with some local paper publishers and having a series of classes culminating in the creation of yearbooks for the grade. But one of the best places to start with this sort of idea is to first figure out how to say "yearbook" in Chinese since I want to label the reading materials so the students will know what they are.

First of all, the concept of "yearbook" doesn't really exist in China, especially as far away from the East coast as I am. Thus, there really isn't a specific word for it. The closest I've found is 年鉴 which I believe carries the implication of an almanac with yearly statistics, and 年报, which is translated as "annual" and I think has the implication of an "annual report." Broadly, both of these words apply something that is published annually which I feel is an acceptable description of a high school yearbook. However, not being a native speaker of Chinese I don't know if 年鉴 or 年报 has too specific connotations to be applicable to a high school yearbook.

So I wonder if you guys out there can help address whether or not the above terms are applicable to the English term "yearbook," or better yet, perhaps there is a Chinese forum member who went to an international school in Hong Kong or Shanghai who has a yearbook and knows how to say yearbook in Chinese.

Thanks!

Edited by Entropy_Rising

• 2 weeks later...

Good recommendations by all.I'm going to collect all these suggestions and do the most logical thing for this particular situation: I'll show my students the yearbooks, show them the possible names for them, and ask them which is most fitting. I'll go with what they pick.

While I'm on the topic of yearbooks, I would like to submit another question for your consideration: I'd like to explain superlatives which are ubiquitous in American yearbooks to my students as well. Some are simple: Most Intelligent, Most Athletic, Best Actor. But does anyone have recommendations for the English phrase "Most likely to ___?" One yearbook I have let the students design their own goofy superlatives, like "Most likely to set falsely set off a bioterrorist alarm" or "Most likely to be a single old spinster with 9 cats."

For example, the more conventional "Most likely to succeed", should I say 最可能会成功?

Thanks.