Chinese-Forums

MAX 08 eXpo in Qingdao

Flying Pigeon

Gou Gou,

Too bad you found their last show kinda noisy. Hate it when that happens. Have you seen them many times? I downloaded their album Sorrow and I dig it. Have you heard their first EP?

I hope to check out PK14 in Beijing either on March 29th or April 4th. Do you like them? Have you seen them live? I'm just getting into the indie music scene in China. What are some other bands you like?

See you in the mosh pit! :)

Peace,

Dean

Haven't had a chance to see PK14 yet (I'm also fairly new to the scene). I like Ourselves Beside Me a lot. Snapline was good live, but their album is mediocre. Queen Sea Big Shark has some good tunes (mainly the ones that sound like Ourselves Beside me :wink:). Also like Ziyo a lot for more pop-like music. Aah, I could continue forever - I'm a sucker for live music!

Are you familiar with Mogo? They have a lot of video recording of concerts. Also check out the groups on douban for event notices. Are you based in Qingdao? How's the live music scene there?

Gou Gou,

Thanks for the reply. I'll check out the bands you mentioned. Haven't heard of Mogo, but I'll check out the link.

I'm currently living in Japan, but I'm considering moving to China when my teaching contract expires in the summer of 2009. I haven't been to Qingdao before, but it was highly recommended by someone on daveseslcafe.com. So the glowing review of Qingdao, combined with an interesting music and art event is enough to make me want to hop on a plane and check it out.

I downloaded two compilations from iTunes, "Modern Sky 05" and "Beijing Band 2001". Some good bands on both compilations. The now defunct band, Wood Pushing Melon, has a great song on the Beijing Band comp.

Peace,

Dean

• 2 weeks later...

I live in Qingdao and the live music scene is on the move. There are several local bands that play at some of the local bars and cafes on Friday and Saturday nights.

Local musical Events in Qingdao range from the classical Symphony Orchestra at the People's Auditorium to DJ'ed hip-hop and live rock & rap-metal bands such as Dama Llamas at some of Qingdao Bars, Clubs, & DISCOs. In fact on March 8th :: SeaBass (guitarist and vocalist with local rap-metal virtuosos The Dama Llamas) will put on a gig at Cassani Cafe & Bar.

I'm glad to see that we now have a yearly event that promotes creativity in music and art. By the way, the MAX 08 will be held at Creative 100 Industry Park on the 5th floor.

Jenny,

Sounds cool. Anything else happening towards the end of March and first week of April? Would love to see some more bands play. See you in the MAX mosh pit!

Peace,

Dean