Chinese-Forums

Dumb vs. Intelligent Popups

trevelyan

What do people feel about switching the output of the "popup annotation" (the default output from adsotrans.com and the popups we see on newsinchinese.com) to a more comprehensive definition (something that includes all of the glosses in the database)? Right now Adso chooses the most likely definition/pos given its understanding of Chinese grammar. I'm not sure that most people notice this selectivity until the system actually gets something wrong....

The reason the system is built this way is that Adso aims to offer gist translation and other sorts of generic semantic analysis functionality. Being able to hone down a word to a single definition is much more useful for search/semantic/translation applications than just showing a list of possible definitions. I strongly believe that structuring data in a way that enables this is important for the ability of the open source community to innovate in the long-term.

But maybe this is the wrong approach for data-display, and especially for a project that aims to make it easy for people to collaborate around language. I've noticed that a lot of users (especially new contributors) like to pack multiple definitions into the popup windows rather than add new ones. I usually edit these during the review process, but don't want people to feel disappointed if their edits "disappear" from one release to the next, especially if they aren't really gone, but merely restructured. Also, if people really WANT more comprehensive definitions when they use an annotator, it is easy enough to change the system and get Adso to produce that sort of output. It's actually much faster to do as well since this eliminates the hard work of grammatical disambiguation.

Curious if anyone has any thoughts on this. Cross-posted on my blog.

Of course you will need to include all synonyms/possible character combinations. After all, Chinese is such a context-dependent language, there is no way a computer could always get the word right. But yeah, a scrollable box/clickable expanding one would really give you the benefits of both worlds :)