Chinese-Forums

西游记

cliveloughlin

Hi guys

Anyone know where I can get a copy of 西游记 in English in Beijing? I checked a few smaller bookshops but they don't have it - Xidan? Want to get a headstart before I read the Chinese version at Uni...Also I want to get some study books (like explanations etc. in Chinese or English)....any ideas?

Cheers

Cj

You sure you can't find it? Xi You Ji is so famous. Perhaps you're not looking under all the English titles available (Journey To The West, Adventures of the Monkey God, Monkey, A Folk Novel of China, The Adventures of Monkey, and numerous other variations)?

That being said I'd be careful before you buy a particular edition, as there are so many translations, not all of them that reliable or accurate. (Yeah, I know, who's to say how accurate a translation can really be, but there really are some awkward, old-fashioned versions out there.) Your best bet is to check out its reputation on amazon.com or similar.

It's famous but there's no reason you'd be able to find an English translation in any random streetside bookstore in Beijing. Xidan's probably a reasonable bet, but the two bookstores on Wangfujing more so. Maybe also the bookstores at BLCU and the one by Lush in Wudaokou.