Chinese-Forums

Porcupine in chinese 豪猪

oly2006

I founded this translation for porcupine in chinese : 豪猪

So i'm interested to know how can i write it..I mean, i know all the writing rules but still I get an ugly character[especially for the first one] and not ordered.SO if someone can help me and write it down to a paper and scan it for me it would be great.It would be nice also if you could write it line to line..[for example if we have a character like ||| you'll write 1) | , 2) || and the final word 3) ||| ]

Hope you get it what i want and THANK YOU VERY MUCH for your help :)

hmm..i suppose it's a hard character for a begginer ? i try it again and again and the first character is always too tall compared to other characters in a text ..

hmm..i ll try to get used with chinese characters generally and i ll come back for this character.

thanks a lot for the help though:)

Now I have a question.

I wrote 豬 many times on a piece of paper and each time I ended it with a dot (I write in traditional characters). This is how I was taught to write the word and I am simply not sure if there should be a dot. I suppose there is a dot, right? :conf

猪:pig

There is no extra dot . The first (left) part (犭)of the character tells us that it is a animal that it refers, and the second (right) part (者)gives us the hint for the pronuciation. ----- of course I mean the simplized writing.

In traditional writing, there is a dot just below the slash and above the 日. But I can't find it where it is supposed to be. I found it in list of ancient writing.

By the way, an off-topic question

Does ordinary English speakers care the difference between porcupine and hedgehog?

It seems to me that many Chinese don't.

Hey Skylee,

I used to study in Traditional before switching to the much less amazing simplified characters (I know... 我錯了!) and well I was looking in my old notebook trying to find the character. And well I was caught by surprise when I saw how I had written it (I only found it once, go figure), I wrote it just like the computer version, but it had a 點,or dot, beneath the "土" radical located on what would be the right part of the 土 (hope this makes sense haha). Either that or I made a mistake when writing it, but it seems rather odd that I had a dot too. So either the computer version is wrong; or like me, you had (or still have) a taiwanese teacher, who maybe wrote/writes this character this way (a Taiwan thing?). Who knows.. Hope it helped. :wink:

JC

Edit: I see the dot now when I made the character bigger.. :P go figure, it is that way!

Thanks for sharing, Huang Jialuo. I don't have a Taiwan teacher, but I spent all my school years in HK.

I think I am confused because the stroke order chart I posted at #2 shows the 豬 without a dot. As I grew up writing Chinese, I don't really write thinking about how each character should be written. It seems that my hand writes the words automatically. So seeing the picture without a dot and my own handwriting having one has really surprised me. :mrgreen: I am so glad that I need not take any exams any more. :mrgreen:

I think this one is alright both with and without dot. Simplified is definitely without dot, but I think even in traditional you can write it without. (I didn't know it ends with the dot though. Which might be further evidence that the dot doesn't have to be there: I first learned writing in traditional, and one would suppose I would remember when to write the dot if I had learned to write it.)

monto said : "By the way, an off-topic question

Does ordinary English speakers care the difference between porcupine and hedgehog?

It seems to me that many Chinese don't."

Actually i needed the chinese character for hedgehog but i didn't found any on the internet, and i founded for porcupine, so I sad it's not a big difference...hmm....is there other chinese character for hedgehog ?

you see...isn't such an off-topic question after all

Actually i needed the chinese character for hedgehog but i didn't found any on the internet, and i founded for porcupine, so I sad it's not a big difference...hmm....is there other chinese character for hedgehog ?

hedgehog 刺猬(ci4 wei)

If you asked me if a hedgehog and a porcupine were the same animal, I would say no. If I saw a hedgehog though, I would probably say it was a porcupine. Really my only experience with hedgehogs is in the video game for Sega Genesis, Sonic the Hedgehog. Wikipedia tells me not to confuse the two.:) But honestly, I actually had no idea what either looked like until I looked it up with a quick google search. In my experience though I almost never hear anyone say hedgehog, while porcupine tends to be fairly common word. Just my two cents though.