Chinese-Forums

不光...How to use?

Scoobyqueen

I am trying to understand the use of 不光 as meaning "not only". Which conjunction or otherwise would you normally use in the juxtaposed sentence following? eg "They have not only developed the new sensing device but are also working on another new system that will improve road safety". Would you use "而且" or "还能" or “更..“

Is 不光 more common than 不但 and 不仅?

I am looking for the most positive way/most eloquent way of saying "not only....but also" suitable for press releases which would present the company in the best "光".

Thank you in advance for any suggestions or comments. I would be grateful.

Meilin

in my experience, 不仅 is more common in oral Chinese; 不但 is more common in written Chinese, but 不光 seems to suggest something more surprising. I don't think either one can be "more positive", it depends on what you're going to say.

她不但长得漂亮, 而且善解人意. (more similar to a phrase "she's beautiful and understanding)

她不光长得漂亮, 还很善解人意. (undertone: many people think she is just beautiful....)

不光 is a totally oral expression, widely used in my hometown area (Jilin Province) especially among those without much education. I think it may also the same case in other parts of the North of China, but can't name a specific one.

just writing down or quotation of speech on any paper doen't make it "written"

Try to find it in

1) official documents of central government level; or

2) editorials, or even

3) memorial speech.

Or,

just assume you are at exam now. All my Chinese had been gained this way.

One thing is easy to understand, that is no any body went out the university with 100 scores in language class whatever.

But serious papers are only to be pubilished after cross checking, which seemed to be decreasing nowadays.

just writing down or quotation of speech on any paper doen't make it "written"

Try to find it in

1) official documents of central government level; or

2) editorials, or even

3) memorial speech.

are you sure all written chinese we use today also appears in the above? I'm not quite sure, but if editorial could really be a criteria, "不光" should become a conjunction in so-called "Written Chinese" now? :wink:

I don't think there's such criteria to distinguish what's "written" and "non-written". As long as it's widely used in that way, i'm okay with it.

半島都市報

2007-12-26

保護古樹不光是教授的事

從5 年前開始,市委黨校文史教研部副教授吳新元就與古樹名木有了不解之緣,5年來,他騎着摩托奔波上萬公里,尋找和記錄這些代表青島歷史的“活化石”。有關部門召開會議聽取吳新元的建議,一個古樹名木保護計劃將在全市範圍啟動。(本報12月25日A2版報道)“枯藤老樹昏鴉”,“撫孤松而盤桓”……...................................