Chinese-Forums

"Do you got it?" "Are you getting that?" in Chinese

Entropy_Rising

There was someone at the gate of my little dorm complex just now, knocking. I went to get it, but then another resident walked into the hallway. The English phrase I wanted to say was "Do you got it?" As I write it I realize that this phrase is kind of weird and may be an American thing, but the meaning is "Are you getting that" or "Are you going to take of that?"

Whenever I'm fumbling or something or trying to do something and I'm obviously having a hard time, often times a Chinese friend will help and say "我来." This sounds to me like the statement version of the question above, as in "I've got it," "I'll do it," or "I'll take care of it." So would 你来吗? work in this situation?

Thanks.

I'm a native speaker of English, and I also already acknowledged that "Do you got it" has an awkward syntax when written. However, at least in the United States, "Do you got it" or "Do you got that" is perfectly acceptable, non-regional, non-dialect English when two or more people are approaching an item or a situation that demands attention, such as someone knocking at the door, a telephone ringing, a child throwing a fit, etc. Just like perhaps 95% of Americans when using the phone will say "It's me., it may be wrong grammar per se but no one is going to start a crusade to get people to say "It's I."

Besides, the point of the post was to discover the Chinese equivalent to such a phrase.

On this episode of Chinespod:

http://chinesepod.com/lessons/going-dutch

they mention a few uses of 我来。

It seems to me, only from that lesson, that it's a way of saying "I got it" or "let me do it" to be polite... the examples included saying 我来 when the check comes in a restaurant, dropping something on the floor and you're the one who will pick it up, and to mean you'll answer the phone。

They say the response can be "我来吧“ meaning, "no, I'LL do it."

So if it's used as one of those face-arguments where you don't want the other person to do it, I think 你来吗 might not be appropriate. It may end up sounding like you are telling them to do something for you. (?) That's the impression I got....

SO....

CAN WE USE THIS in the OP's ways above, or only to "not let" the other person do something?

PS - I'm from north america, and "you got it?" or "I got it" is used nearly every day. Can't find many more common phrases than that, grammatically correct or not. I'd never say DO at the beginning though.

- answering the phone

- fixing something

- doing anything for someone else

- helping someone do sth small

- answering the door

- to say you'll do sth in the near future

- help sb carry sth

- refuse sb helping you "no, it's ok, I got it"

Means I'll handle it, I'll do it, let me help, don't bother yourself, please let me be the one to do the difficult thing, or I don't need help, etc...