Chinese-Forums

Chinese novel that creates new vocab widespread in China, Taiwan & Hong Kong?

zozzen

This thread ( http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/159-wuxia-aka-martial-art-or-kungfu-novels-by-louis-cha ) reminded me that we once had a series of novels (popularized by mass media) that have created a big volume of vocab which is well understood across the straits and widespread in almost all Chinese communities around the globe.

But since Jinyong retired from writing wuxia novel 3 decades ago, have Chinese got any novels which are so famous and so influential? Any modern vocab comes from novels written in the last 3 decades? I can't think of any, possibly I miss it. Any ideas?

But since Jinyong retired from writing wuxia novel 3 decades ago, have Chinese got any novels which are so famous and so influential?

Your words remind me of the some kind of tradition among the painters in Song Dynasty.

In fact, before Southern Song Dynasty, the inscription(落款)and postscript (题跋) usually weren’t dealt with as part of a drawing as a whole. Especially in Northern Song Dynasty, a painter’s signature or inscription usually wrote at a very obscure place on their paintings, like under a leave of a tree or a flower, or in the slit of a stone. In such a tactful way, they expressed such an idea i.e. they just wanted to compare a drawing with another by drawing skills or the deep meanings in drawings(画中深意), but they didn’t want to use their fame or influence to give any pressure to their counterparts who might be less well-known or simply obscure (名不见经传). In such a way, they also wanted to avoid misleading appreciators by their fame. Also in the same way, they showed their sincerity to learn from each other, no matter how famous or obscure someone might be.

Nowadays, when it comes to literature works, we usually judge them by the criteria as below.

1. how well the writing skills are showed and the plots are designed

2. how deep the author understands human’s nature, society, culture, arts, religions and life; and how subtly he expresses his understanding in his works

3. how original or creative the story is

4 how many deep thoughts are left behind after reading the story

Etc.

If you want to judge a Chinese author by his/her fame or influence, it shows that you don’t really want to understand the author and his/her works, but you simply want to compare one’s fame and influence with another’s, which is something true scholars want to avoid in academic field.

This thread ( http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/159-wuxia-aka-martial-art-or-kungfu-novels-by-louis-cha ) reminded me that we once had a series of novels (popularized by mass media) that have created a big volume of vocab which is well understood across the straits and widespread in almost all Chinese communities around the globe.

When taking about Jinyong and his great works, we usually discus his deep understanding on Confucianism,

Buddhism (especially zen),

Taoism (especially “Book of change”)

Chinese ancient history(especially unofficial history)

Chinese poems & lyrics,

Chinese ancient music,

traditional Chinese medicine,

Chinese literatures essay books and all kinds of old books (古籍) (for example 《红楼梦》,《孙子兵法》 and so on)

Ect.

That’s why Jinyong is so great. If you want to show your deep understanding on Jinyong and his great works, please simply pick up one of the points above and tell others your remarkable insights (真知灼见) on it, which must be more interesting and meaningful. Do you agree?

Cheers!