Chinese-Forums

Problem with Windows 2000

Tallstory

Yes, I'm still using windows 2000 and really should upgrade, but there we are....or rather, there I am with a problem.

Can anyone help?

I can type and read chinese characters ok, but in the text boxes, or rather on the edges any text boxes, the characters simply show as squares. I can't use zdt for the same reason...little squares. But if i type or receive any thing inside the text is fine.

I know i must have a setting wrong somewhere...but where? Any suggestions?

HI,

I remember the install support function but I think that was on windows 98 was it?

But i guessed that you must be right and so looked for that function here....but couldn't find it. But what I did do was change the 'Your Locale' box from English UK to PRC. This some how did the trick. I have changed it back to English UK and still the characters are where I want them in the Text windows and else where. So thank you .....we got there some how.

Well, almost.......... the chinese characters are now supported every where but in a programme I use called ZDT flash cards.

Any ideas about that?

It could just be Java not being happy. You may need to reinstall Java and specify that it should install International Support (as opposed to support for just English), though I would be a little surprised. And AppLocale is unlikely to help with ZDT as it is Java-based, and Java should be using UTF-16 (if it's not, then that's just a bit odd...)

Hi..thanks guys, I really appreciate all the helpful suggestions.........

but still no success:cry:

I tried the applocate...and that didn't seem to like windows2000.

I tried re-installing Java....but still the same.

Every thing else is now working fine except zdt. It looks like a very good programme,,,,if only I could use it..:cry:

Any more suggestions?