Chinese-Forums

How do you say "red herring" in Chinese?

anonymoose

I can't find a very appropriate way of translating "red herring" into Chinese. The closest I can come up with is 假象, but somehow it doesn't seem an exact match with the English concept. Is there a better way of expressing "red herring" in Chinese?

skylee, thanks. However, "red herring" is a noun, and I was just wondering if there were an equivalent in Chinese. For example, how could I say, "Here is a list of items that could help us identify the murderer, but I think the last two items are red herrings"?

You could also take a look at this -> http://w3.blsh.tp.edu.tw/unit/b000/Highsoca/web/BLSHEnglishWeb/stu_result/%E5%BE%A9%E8%88%88%E9%AB%98%E4%B8%AD_%E9%BB%83%E6%9F%8F%E5%A0%AF/hw3.htm

Red herring錯誤的線索

例句:After months of research, the scientists knew that thery were chasing a red herring, and decided to start all over again.

翻譯:經過幾個月的研究,這些科學家知道他們在追的線索是錯誤的,於是決定重頭來過。

However, "red herring" is a noun, and I was just wondering if there were an equivalent in Chinese. For example, how could I say, "Here is a list of items that could help us identify the murderer, but I think the last two items are red herrings"?

For your example, I think “这里有份明细目录可以帮助我们判断出凶手是谁,但我认为最后两条只是个烟雾弹(smoke shell)。”

Cheers!