Chinese-Forums

X Visa or F Visa?

marcoppe

Hi all,

I am going to be in China in May to study Chinese. I want to stay in Beijing during the summer, so I am planning to enroll in a short term Chinese program in the capital from May to Aug.

In September, I will begin a one-semester course ending in Jan 2009 either at Zhejiang University in Hangzhou or at Nanjing University. I will decide which school once in China.

Now, the problem comes with the visa. I know that for a period shorter than 6 months, there is no need for an X Visa. Although the F Visa is enough, however, I'd need to show a return flight to the Chinese Consulate with return date within the 6 months period. As you understand, I do not intend to leave China any sooner than 9 months from my arrival, so at this point I would need an X Visa (including 3 months study in Beijing + 6 months in Hangzhou/Nanjing). Do you think it's possible this way?

Has anyone had a similar situation? Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Marco

I will decide which school once in China.

Then you will neither have an invitation letter for an F, nor a school applying for you to receive an X. You don't choose what visa you want to get per se, the embassy will give you what they want to based upon your application. Since you will have neither of these, and are going to China first to check it out before enrolling, you will be issued an L tourist visa.

Well, it may be a lot simpler if you just apply for a F Visa.

I have a F visa and I can always extend it when I need to stay longer than 6 months.

The customs or travel will not ask to look at your visa.

My friends who hold X visas have to go through so much trouble once they get to China because they have to undergo medical examination and residence permit etc. They're all jealous of the fact that I hold an F visa in which case I dont have to go through all the trouble they're going through.

• 3 weeks later...
You might want to go to Hong Kong first. You can get a F Visa for China on the same day and only a photo is required. No application forms or anything. A lot of places offer China Visa services there - e.g. http://www.jta.biz/chinavisa/china_visa.htm

According to this thread getting an F visa will be impossible until the Olympic games are over.

I know that we can go to Hong Kong to get visas but do we HAVE to go Hong Kong to renew/get a new visa ??

Excuse my ignorance, but can renew/apply for a new visa HERE in China (specifically Beijing) ??

If we have to go abroad to get visas then can we get it from other places besides Hong Kong like South Korea, Japan or Taiwan ??

Thanks.:D

There's a large PSB Entry / Exit Administration office somewhere near the Lama Temple - if you want to get a new visa here, gather whatever documentation you think you might need and go along and see what happens. Given the current state of affairs it's hard to say what would happen, but it can't hurt to try (assuming the loss of your time doesn't hurt).

Hi all,

Just wondering if anybody has any experience on the following,

I have been working in shanghai since the end of september 07 and have a working visa and residence permit. I am supposed to be on a two year contract but have recently decided that I would really like to go study chinese for a year, (probably in Harbin)

I guess ideally i would like to keep working up until september and then go to harbin,

The problem however is the visa which will expire around sep 25th,

If I need to apply for a student visa do i need to cancel my working visa, that would obviously involve teling my company who i am guessing will not be too pleased, i would like to wait until two weeks before i leave before i tell them

has anybody or a friend done something similar?? sorry if its a little confusing, i'm actually confusing myself writing this!!

would really apreciate any help, this is a really great resource

• 7 months later...

china visa reqirement and renewal is quite funny,....am i undersatnding that if i hold an F visa and it expires,but i still want to stay in china,someone will have to travel all the way to HK?........please can someone be clear on that....i an kind of in a maze here....D'oh.

jerry