Chinese-Forums

Natural medicine school

cattylynn39

I would like to know where to study Triditional Chinese Medicine in Beijing . If anyone has information it would be appreciated. Such as school name , cost , and if the school is in english. Thanks and have a great day, cattylynn39:help Also is it possiable to attend a Triditional Chinese School with your on interpriter while learning Chinese as well?

Well I really need the names of some good ones , as I'm arriving on the 26th of this month. I will be taken around to diffrent schools , to see weather or not they are the right one. I would not like to pay all the high prices that many scools give to out siders. But I do want a school that has good standing.

Thanks,Cattylynn39

Beijing University of TCM and Shanghai university of TCM are the leading universities in China. I study at Shanghai university of TCM because it has a beautiful campus:D . They both have degree courses in tuina massage, acupuncture and herbal medicine. 5 years for bachelors degree, 3 years for masters degree and 3 years for PHD. They also have short term courses(1 or 2 years) in quite a few other languages including English. What kind of course are you planning to study? I don't have much information about Beijing University of TCM but it shouldn't be different from Shanghai. I have a friend who has got her bachelors degree from Beijing and she is now studying at our university. I'll ask her about the prices.

I intend to take a two year course , as we will be there two years. At the moment I don't know if will stay longer, I will also be taking Chinese as well , and mabe a massage course. I would like to fill up my time there , so I don't get so home sick . I'm excited and a little unsettled at the same time. There are so many unanswered questions at the moment. But all will be well in time. I have been in Germany for one and a half year, and

have taken german for two years . I figure if I can make it in Germany this long , I can make it in China too.

Thanks for the info , Cattylynn39:wink:

If Beijing University of TCM is like our university they should have a Chinese course(20 hours a week) which is more than enough to fill up your time and in the afternoon you can take some courses like tuina massage, taijiquan, etc. In case you already have a degree in medicine there are certainly many other choices for you. I suggest that you personally go to Beijing University of TCM and ask them your questions. Btw Chinese is way more difficult than German. I remember when I had studied German for only 9 months I had no problems in reading books and watching TV. Back then studying German was my hobby. Now I am a full time student of Chinese language and I have already studied for a year but there is a long long way to go.

• 2 weeks later...

The problem with Beijing and Shanghai TCM schools is they have too much western medicne in the degree program. I'd like to study TCM but I wand a 3 or so year course with 90% TCM.

Anybody find something like that?

Thanks,

The problem with Beijing and Shanghai TCM schools is they have too much western medicne in the degree program.

Many Chinese students complain about that but I have noticed that the curriculum is slightly different for foreign students and there is more TCM stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

I am currently in china studying chinese medicine. I was also in bj last week. There are a number of chinese med schools to choose from.

china academy of chinese medical sciences clinic is just off subway and wong zhi men nei street and guo hua plaza. I have a photograph of subway sign if u need it showing both chinese and english. In their clinic they do everything in one room.

diagnosis:pulse, tongue ect

treatment: cupping, gua sha, acupuncture, massage.

so here in the clinic u will recieve a well rounded education. Just like having your own clinic. What is your current experience with TCM? Chinese language?

Cost is around 1000us per month for the clinical. I am not sure about classes.

beijing tcm university: has a 1 year introduction course in english. They start from the basics and will move to the clinic in the last 2 months of the course. do a web search for them they have english website.

I agree that the cost is too high for foreigners!!!! Please email me for more info. I may be in beijing again in 2 months.

I also recommend getting this map BEFORE you leave isbn 0794600646.

Its a very good map and better than the tourist maps they have around.

Use hostels.com or hostelworld.com to find cheap places to stay while doing your research. You can also get the web that has no weaver 0809229331 if your just starting out.

Oh yes Beijing is a wonderfull city. You wont get bored or homesick no reason to be.

Good luck,

David