Chinese-Forums

Help with style of writing

TooNice

Hey guys, I have one chinese character in mind 陳 but as I dont write chinese I am unfamiliar with the style of writing characters.

I have found a few font packs and have found these:

Click Here

My question is what style is artistic, standard, old style, new style etc etc. And which one in your opinon looks the best?

I was also wondering where abouts I could find some calligraphy style image of the character I am looking for.

Thank you

20045261013177317.jpg

1. 宋体 2. 印刷楷体 3. 印刷魏碑体 4. 行楷 5. 行书

My question is what style is artistic, standard, old style, new style etc etc. And which one in your opinon looks the best?

the number4, 5 are more artistic, but seems the qualities are not so good, and others are print fonts, sure less artistic, no.1 and 2. are standard, and 3 is more old style, but as a font for print, it lost its original beauty. to judge if is one character artistic, the rule is: no matter which style it belong to, if that was print font, there no artistic value at all.

a timeline for every style's birth date is:

甲骨文-钟鼎文(金文)-石鼓文-大篆-小篆(秦)-隶书(汉)-魏碑(魏)-楷书(唐)-行书(唐)-宋体(宋)-仿宋体(宋)

×××××××××××××××××××××××|-帛书(汉)-草书(汉->唐)

I was also wondering where abouts I could find some calligraphy style image of the character I am looking for.

hope this site helps a little, but there are lack of source to check the particular one character.

Thanks 39degN, I understand what you have said. I am looking for a character that looks pleasing to the eye and/or artistic. But unfortunately as I cannot write chinese, I will have to go with what I find on the internet.

The answer is in part dependent upon the question "looks best for what?"

"Pleasing to the eye" is often dependent upon context. (The same thing applies to fonts in the Roman alphabet; they aren't one-size-fits-all.) Do you want to print a book in this font? Make a small logo? Get a calligraphy scroll? Do you want this single character as a tattoo? (If so, I'd advise against it no matter the font.)

Also, how did you settle on the character "chen"? I'm not sure that many would judge it to be among the most artistic or evocative characters.

Like I said, it kind of depends on what exactly you want.

I chose this character 'chan' (cantonese) because it is my surname. The character by itself may not mean much to other people but is very important to myself.

This character is meant for a tattoo, as well as a caligraphy scroll or a single character print wall mounted.

Hope this helps with answers to my inquiry.

Thanks