Chinese-Forums

Multiple entry visa = residence permit?

abuck

Hi, I am studying at a university in Shanghai and registered with the PSB. I need to return home to the U.S. for a week in May and I am wondering if I can use my PSB registration as a re-entry visa, or if there is some other process I need to go through to convert my visa to multiple-entry? I currently hold an F visa, single entry. Thanks!

I am wondering if I can use my PSB registration as a re-entry visa
No.
or if there is some other process I need to go through to convert my visa to multiple-entry?
You will need to apply for a re-entry permit. The foreign students department at your university should be able to help you out with this.

Ah, okay, thank you for the speedy reply, imron. My only concern is that my school will not let me go, or ask me to withdraw rather than go and come back (they seem to be strict about attendance). So there is no alternative if they refuse to provide the paperwork?

Alternatives might be to get the PSB to cancel your current visa and give you a new multiple-entry one, or to let your current one become invalid when you leave and get a new one overseas. But whatever you do it will likely be easier with a letter of invitation / explanation from your university, so I'd go that route if at all possible.

You can possibly apply for it by yourself, but should probably double-check whether or not this is the case. I only mentioned the school, because I figured going through them would save you the hassle of going to the PSB, making sure you've got the correct forms filled out and have waited in the correct line etc etc. Dealing with the school bureaucracy is often easier than dealing with the PSB bureaucracy :mrgreen: