Chinese-Forums

having pets in china.

zozzen

I'm considering if i should have a cat/ dog in china, but several problems have to be solved before. Does anyone have a pet in China? Is it feasible to have it?

- I'd move to different cities every few months. Would it be okay to move it from one place to another place every few months?

- I know how to take my cat home when i leave china, but how to transport a cat/dog within china? Is it allowed to take them on a train?

Actually I've hesitated to have a cat/dog for many years because i don't know if my frequent travel will hurt them. Please come to share your experience. (it'd be the best if i can share it with my roommate, but ....quite infeasible. )

- I know how to take my cat home when i leave china, but how to transport a cat/dog within china? Is it allowed to take them on a train?

Yes, it’s allowed to take a cat/ dog on a train, but the process is can be a challenge to your patience.

The most important thing is to get an animal quarantine certificate which is accepted by railway department. If your pet has been quarantined, but the certificate is not accepted by railway department, then your pet must receive the quarantine done by railway department. This means that wherever you are in, you must find out the local railway animal quarantine spot. All the quarantine process must be done before one or two days you get on train, but you still can’t do it too early. For more details please check the link below.

http://bj.sina.com.cn/art/2004-11-18/57478.shtml铁路托运宠物的手续

Actually I've hesitated to have a cat/dog for many years because i don't know if my frequent travel will hurt them. Please come to share your experience. (it'd be the best if i can share it with my roommate, but ....quite infeasible. )

Usually a dog is quite easy-going, and it will follow you wherever you go. Yes, please make sure that you have enough time to walk him out. A dog, especially a puppy, doesn’t like to be left at home alone. He will feel nervous and bark out loud and sadly to arouse attention. Don’t know whether your neighbors will complain this to policemen or not. A dog needs an ID. But how to get a dog's ID is rather trouble in China mainland. (It is really a long story to tell. And differnt places might have different regulations too. :( )

A cat is quite hard to adapt to a new place. If you move a cat to new place where she doesn’t feel familiar to, she will refuse to eat & drink (or just eat & drink very little), and hide herself under a bed or chair, till she feels safe. During this time, you must be patient to coax her, caress her, and give her the toys or bedclothes with her body odor on them. This course will last a few days or even months. Are you sure that you’ll be patient enough? If you enjoy doing everything freely or moving everywhere freely and feel no patience to troubles & problems caused by a pet, please well consider whether you’re just on an impulse :twisted:to have a pet.

Cheers!

Maybe it might be a better idea to have a pet that is small and in a cage, like a bird or a pet rat or the like. They don't mind moving as they keep their own house, you don't have to walk them, they don't make noise (well, depends on the animal) and they can be just as cuddly.

If you move a lot I'd not recommend a cat, and even dogs might not be too keen on new environments again and again, not to mention the hassle of getting permits for everything. This is probably easier with small animals.

My cat (now almost 18 years old) simply refused to adapt when I took it with me to a new apartment. It hid behind a cabinet when I was home, never showed its face, and when I turned off the light and went to bed, it cried all night, still refusing to come to me. So after 2 weeks I had to take it back to my folks. And it never complained when they moved. 唉説到底他不愛我.

get a turtle...a big fat one. they are fun and virtually indestructable...the lil' ones are bit easier to go to turtle heaven though...

Now, don't think that a turtle isn't a good companion, you can take it with you in a lil' clear carry-on, plop it on your desk at work, plus you can constantly hear them clunk around in their bowl so you know you aren't all by yourself at home, and they are just as good as a dog b/c you can even take them out to play

yeah, after considering this for many years, I decline to it again. Today i just have an-hour hide-and-seek with the cat of my friend at 1am. The cat disappeared for an hour, but we can hear its troat so far away from my home. The voice was very different, very short, and seemed to be muted by someone's hands. Even worse, i read a story in Douban about a hawker in hunan selling 水煮貓肉..... all these gave me a wild imagnation.

Alright, i found the cat now, and it hided itself at a home of some undergraduates. They wanted to catch it, but failed to do it, so they opened their door at 1am and waited for us.

Raising a pet is a great responsibility and also a big burden. Perhaps it's still not time i shall have it.

I've been told that turtles will keep cockroaches away. It's something to do with the roaches not liking the smell of turtles. I'm not sure if this is true or not, but I may have to give it a try as I discovered the first roach in my apartment yesterday. :(

Dude, it doesn't work. My roommate told me this a long time ago...i may have even posted on the board about it....This reminds me...those raid traps are only good for 3 months i think..time for me to update:mrgreen:

Unless you train your turtle to tackle roaches, I don't think the turtle smell is gonna scare'em away.