Chinese-Forums

"expert" and "amateur" in Putonghua ?

crouchingdragon

nei4hang2 & hang2jia mean "expert" Is there any difference in meaning/usage ? Is one more related to sports ? the arts ?

Wai4hang2means "amateur." I believe there is another word lijia ? which means amateur ? However, I can not find it in any dictionary?

Can someone shed some light on the above ? How to write Lijia, if there is such a word ?

Thank you

Can someone shed some light on the above ? How to write Lijia, if there is such a word ?

Can't think of any that related to the meaning. I guess you meant "lishou" (里手)。But this word rarely used alone, it alway goes with 行家里手。

nei4hang2 & hang2jia mean "expert" Is there any difference in meaning/usage ? Is one more related to sports ? the arts ?

内行(nei4hang2) & 行家(hang2jia):

Mainly witth the similar meanings, their usage slightly differs:

By 内行(nei4hang2), we emphasize on the "insider" judged by the profession or knowledge of the profession. Especially, when there is a word or concept of 外行(layman) appears in the context, use of 内行 is almost a must.

内行(nei4hang2)refers to not only a person with certain characteristics,but also the characteristic itself.

So we can say 他是内行,also we can say 他挺内行的,even 他内行.

By 行家(hang2jia):we refer to a person with "good" skills or knowledge in certain profession.

We can say 他是行家,but not 他挺行家的

外行 = layman.

An amateur may be a 行家 or 内行, or just be considered 外行。

the discussion above has been helpful.

I found once reference to a division of Chinese Painters with respect to their abilities and time devoted to painting; the division of lijia and hangjia was prevalent in the Ming Dynasty. Lijia represented amateur painters or 'weekend painters.'

Perhaps somewhat germane to this discussion is the word ye4yu2 for amateur and possibly the word, Zhi2ye4 for "professional," which may or may not imply being an expert as well ? Both of these terms may be more or solely sports-related ?

thanks

I found once reference to a division of Chinese Painters with respect to their abilities and time devoted to painting; the division of lijia and hangjia was prevalent in the Ming Dynasty. Lijia represented amateur painters or 'weekend painters.'

I've found the term on the internet. It is 隸家. Take a look -> http://www.zdic.net/cd/ci/8/ZdicE9Zdic9AZdicB6279720.htm

It is also 戾家. Take a look -> http://www.zdic.net/cd/ci/8/ZdicE6Zdic88ZdicBE174964.htm

Neither term is commonly used. Until you mentioned it I had never heard of them.

As to their explanation in the context of painters, this is relevant ->

所谓"文人画"最早出现在北宋,当时画家分三类:宫廷画院画家,市井职业画家,这两种人都凭绘画吃饭,另外还有一类本人作官经商不愁衣食但对艺术有追求的"文人画家",比如苏东坡、李龙眠等等。郑军书里提到的"职业说书人",其身份就相当于那个时候以画画为业的画家--画院画家和市井画家。到了晚明经董其昌强化,又经过清代诸家的加工,画家最终分成了两类--"行家"和"隶家"。前者现在是个敬称,是说这人懂行;但当时却是贬称--说这人"入了行",专靠画画吃饭了。后者在那个年代却是尊称,意思是这人或在当官,或者是个恶霸地主,总之是不愁衣食,画起画来"不带功利性",完全为艺术而艺术。

Apart from the historical perspective and what was used at that time as Skylee mentioned earlier the common usage for expert and amatuer is 专家 and 业余. If you said anything else in daily life, you would get funny looks.

Also a good phrase to know is 外行看热闹,内行看门道