Chinese-Forums

Does this tattoo mean strong dog

ditamaddona

You must have walked into the tattoo parlor saying something like, "Yo, wassup! Gimme a tat in Chinese that means Big Dawg!" Then the tattoo artist replied, "Sorry, 大狗 does not look that good in Chinese characters, but I can give you something similar to that". :wink:

Skylee - thanks for the translation!!

Lu - funny you should mention that because someone had asked if "together" there was another meaning!

ABCinChina - its not my tat - its actually my friends boyfriends tat- he was telling her it was her name but we knew he was full of bs!! LOL We still cant figure out what he was trying to get at (meaning wise) w/the tat!

Thanks again all!!

I disagree with Mpallard here... they can be good... if you put thought into them and work out what you want yourself and then make sure its what you want it to say they are ok... of course you do get the meshuganas (sp) who think they look purtty so just put any old thing on... with sometimes fantastic (in a funny way) results.

why would I want to tattoo "Strong dog" on my arm?

You have to spell it like "dawg" to have the full effect! :) But unfortunately when translated into Chinese, it just doesn't have the same effect anymore.

Also, on the post above, I looked at it and it looks like Japanese to me, not Chinese.

its not my tat - its actually my friends boyfriends tat- he was telling her it was her name but we knew he was full of bs!! LOL

You sure it's not a transliteration of her name? Phonetically, like?

You have to spell it like "dawg" to have the full effect! But unfortunately when translated into Chinese, it just doesn't have the same effect anymore.

Okay now I understand (we don't use the word "dawg" on this side of the pond). From what I understand, what he should have had tattooed on his arm was, "Stong, close African-American acquaintance".