Chinese-Forums

Kunming Quakes!

w000t311

Hello all,

I am considering moving to Kunming at the end of the year and would like to ask any other expats living there what the seismic activity of the region is like. I know there must be some since that's how the Himalayas sorta got there, but more specifically I would like to know frequency and magnitude. Also, does Kunming have the infrastructure necessary to deal with this, such as special reinforcements for its buildings like they have on every scraper in California. Finally, in past earthquakes, what has been the overall response from the provincial and national governments in aiding those afflicted. I would hope that the Chinese can handle a natural disaster better than FEMA, but there are prolly all sorts of ins and outs I'm not considering. Earthquakes are my 2nd least favorite natural disaster right after volcanic eruptions, but from all the tremendously awesome things I've been reading about Kunming, I'd hate for this one thing to be a spoiler to me possibly settling there for a spell. Lemme know whatcha think. Thanks!

Earthquakes are my 2nd least favorite natural disaster right after volcanic eruptions

Since I like Thai beaches, I would say that tsunamis are my least favorite, right after waking up in a bathtub of ice with some internal organ missing. I don't think you have to worry about either in Kunming, but I've heard that you have to be very careful with your [ADSO]自行车[/ADSO].

would hope that the Chinese can handle a natural disaster better than FEMA

When the Chinese decide to organize to do something, they get it done. FEMA, like any government entity under a small government administration, suffers from the fact that it is despised for existing in the first place, so it will be under-resourced and have an unspoken mandate to fail. Add more than just a dash of incompetence at the top, and the Chinese come out looking better once again.

I would venture a guess that the Japanese have the best infrastructure for handling earthquakes, but the risk is also greater.

Good luck in Kunming and enjoy!

. I don't think you have to worry about either in Kunming, but I've heard that you have to be very careful with your 自行车.

Yes, 自行車, 電動車 and passerby are the axis of evil in kunming. Small car accidents happen every day. Some drivers are blind, some passerby believe that a car road is a place for bitting "gua-zi". And it's very common for a bike being stolen.

If you decide to go to kunming and prepare to buy a bicycle (or motorcycle), take a VERY reliable lock and VERY STRONG metal chain with you. I bought one before, but the skillful thefts make me believe that my lock isn't reliable at all.

Earthquakes are my 2nd least favorite natural disaster right after volcanic eruptions
I never realized how good the place I grew up in was until now finding out that there are people who are listing their least favorite natural disasters...

Here's a map of fault lines in Asia. If you compare it to the location of Kunming, you'll find that Kunming itself is quite a way away from a fault line. I don't imagine anywhere in China has the infrastructure you mention to deal with earthquakes.

That's not true. Look at the map you linked, there are loads of fault lines running throughout Yunnan and several faults surround Kunming. There have been quakes around Kunming (most small and of no consequence) There are a few moderate quakes of less than magnitude 6 that were around 30 to 50 miles from Kunming and did little damage.

There have been serious quakes. In 1970 there was a magnitude 7.5 quake about 75 miles south of Kunming in which 10,000 people died. In 2003 there was a magnitude 6.0 quake about 100miles North East of Kunming. In this one 16 people died. There are two other recorded serious quakes in Yunnan in the last century but they were more distant from Kunming.

Would I worry? No I wouldn't. The frequency in Yunnan is not high. Similar to much of Europe and other parts of China. The frequency is much less than California and much much less than Japan or Indonesia.

there was a big dangerous quake in Lijiang in 1996 and there was a major one in Puer last year but those are quite aways from Kunming. I lived in Km 4 yrs and only felt a tremor once. It just felt like a dog ran under my bed and bumped it a bit. (having never been in a quake before I actually looked under the bed to see what was under it, only the next day did i hear on the news there had been a small quake just at that time.

That's not true. Look at the map you linked, there are loads of fault lines running throughout Yunnan and several faults surround Kunming.
Everything's relative I guess. By "quite a way away", I meant there's no major fault line running through it, unlike say San Francisco, or for example Tangshan, which was levelled by a quake in 1976.

While there isn't a dead on fault line, still, faults can be found. So if you're afraid that your Chinese study will be impaired by losing a good night's sleep, then good news! I have found the product for you. It's called, the Quantum Sleeper:

The "Quantum Sleeper" promises restful protection from "bio-terrorist attack, natural disaster, kidnappers/stalkers" and, of course, it's bulletproof.

If you regularly bed down in a hostile environment, maybe this is the right bed for you. The great thing is that securing yourself inside doesn't mean you're separated from many of the common comforts you would expect. The Quantum Sleeper can be fitted with a CD player, a DVD player with PC hookup, a microwave oven and even a refrigerator. Plus, it has options for cell phones, CB and short-wave radios.

Read article

• 1 year later...

I was in Kunming during the big Wenchuan (Sichuan) earthquake of May 2008. On the afternoon it happened I was on the 16th floor of a tall building. The building swayed a bit and some people scampered down the stairs to exit on street level. See snapshot attached. Took it from the window. No damage resulted in Kunming.

I was told at the time that Kunming buildings over six stories tall are reinforced so as to be resistant to small earthquakes (don't know up to what level on the Richter scale.)

2897_thumb.attach

I was told at the time that Kunming buildings over six stories tall are reinforced so as to be resistant to small earthquakes (don't know up to what level on the Richter scale.)

I wonder if the buildings are well reinforced against earthquakes. Is there a tough regulation about this ? What about the buildings below six stories ?

Also, I doubt that the regulation about earthquake is respected by the construction companies...

I wonder if the buildings are well reinforced against earthquakes. Is there a tough regulation about this ? What about the buildings below six stories ?

Also, I doubt that the regulation about earthquake is respected by the construction companies...

Sounds like you are determined to live in fear of earthquakes in Kunming. I certainly wouldn't want to talk you out of that pleasant preoccupation.

I once stayed in a hotel in Lijiang which had a large sign in the room saying: "In case of earthquake, please grovel under furniture." I enjoyed the unusual verb, but thought it was kind of like the old "duck and cover" advice for nuclear attack.