Chinese-Forums

Visiting Dalian

Flying Pigeon

Hello,

I've been in Qingdao for about a week and I'm thinking of taking the boat from Yantai to Dalian.

I checked out Ocean University in Qingdao and was impressed with the class I observed. As far as enrollment, the beggining classes seem kind of big, about 25-30 students; but the upper level classes have about 10-15 students.

I've searched the forums and according to the posts I've read, there are three universities in Dalian that offer Mandarin courses: DUFL, DUFE and Li Gong. Anyone currently studying at these universities? If so, can you provide me with their contact info? Is it possible to observe a class as well? I tried to send an email to DUFL but it bounced back. I also came across some bad feedback about DUFL, mainly about the administration. Is there still a bad vibe there?

Also, any suggestions as far as youth hostels in Dalian?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Peace,

Dean Swanson

I went to LNU - Liaoning Normal University in Dalian about 3 years ago.

I can certainly recommend it. But I think good or bad classes always depend on your teachers and not so much the university itself.

If you should decide to choose LNU, let me know. I am still in touch with my hostfamily. If you look for a flat or a hostfamily, my hostmum is probably able to help!

Nicefreak,

I am thinking about doing the ARAQ network program at LNU this summer. From what I hear Dalian is where it's at for some serious Mandarin studying. About me: I am a 3rd year college student and have been taking Chinese for 2 years now. Anyway, the LNU program starts July 14, but I will be able to come to China as early as June 9. Any idea what I could do to study during that time in between?

If anyone else has any suggestions please let me know asap. Thanks!

I'd suggest just to go to the university and ask for a private tutor. The guys in the office and probably even the teachers should be able to arrange something...

Otherwise just take the time for a month of traveling...

Do you want me to arrange a meeting with my host-mum? She'd probably be able to help you find a flat or a hostfamily. She lives really close by LNU. If so, please just sent me a private message with your e-mail, phone number...

Wish you an awesome time in Dalian!!

• 2 years later...