Chinese-Forums

Update: Visa from Hong Kong - no more F or multible visa!

flameproof

If you plan to apply you visa at the official visa place in Wanchai bring a good book! Expect to wait for a few hours. I passed the place this morning and the line was a few 100m. When I passed again at about 12:00 it was still the same. Maybe not the same people though, but I didn't checked that closely.

1796_thumb.attach

Hey guys, this is my plan: Tell me what you think

Im getting a 30 day visa in Canada- I will extend it for another 30 days in Beijing.

Then at the end of that I will fly to Hong Kong and get a new L visa for another 30 days?

- So far doable?

And then, can I extend that visa for another 30 days?

Mate of mine just got back from Hong Kong - Australian passport, has done Hong Kong visa runs before so knows what is usually available. Best he could get hold of was a 30 day tourist visa - so that was one very poor value trip to Hong Kong . . .

Otherwise he'd have needed to show a ticket out of China & evidence of hotel reservations, right?

I don't think you need that if you "buy" your visa from a travel agent. However, I saw that upon entry in Beijing some people were asked question and had to show more paper. I wasn't ask anything though.

Japan Travel & Shoestring have both told me you need flight tickets & reservations...

It's hard to believe, but true. I just called JTA and got the same information. You need flight ticket and hotel confirmation. Train ticket is OK too.

So in the worst case you can buy a return trip on the Kowloon-Canton rail to the nearest place from HK, that's Dongguan(Changping). Single ticket is HK$145

http://www.it3.mtr.com.hk/B2C/UserPage/sysFareTable_Eng.asp

BTW, you can still get the special zone 5-days Shenzhen visa for HK$150 at the Lowu border. Officially you are not allowed to leave the SZ area.

It's hard to believe, but true.

Sure - I wasn't making it up to scare people... The exact interpretation of the rules seems to have changed since April 15 - for a while JTA weren't making the flight/hotel confirmation requirement, and said double 30-day entry visas were available. I read somewhere (forgotten where unfortunately) that the rules will get stricter still in a couple of months.

Good thing you checked about the train - they didn't mentioned that to me...

Not sure exactly what counts as a hotel confirmation. Maybe a hostelworld (or whatever) booking would do? I think they're disposable for the cost of the booking fee as long as you call up the hostel to cancel more than 24 hours in advance.

If you are American, it will be harder for you.... Ive been of a res permit for 3 years. I stopped working and boy was that a mistake. lets just say the 'cure' was tossing my passport into the harbor in HK and getting an all new number.... seriously.... and i have never once broken a law or stayed inside on an expired visa...(sh)

If you are American, it will be harder for you.... Ive been of a res permit for 3 years. I stopped working and boy was that a mistake. lets just say the 'cure' was tossing my passport into the harbor in HK and getting an all new number.... seriously.... and i have never once broken a law or stayed inside on an expired visa...

you ditched your passport? what happened?