Chinese-Forums

English teacher wants a chinese name + how do chinese people choose names 4 kids?

AnnoLuce

How are chinese names selected? Surely not by meaning, i know a girl whose name translates as pretty root vegetable and a man called red west, so is purely on sound, the way that western people choose names, or something very different? Are names simply recycled over generations?

In any case, i'm about to go to china to teach english, and i'd like a chinese name that people can call me by. Can you please suggest some chinese names. I'd like something that sounds good to chinese people but which doesn't immediatly convey oideas of simpering and excessive femininity. I am female as you can guess! I'd like a name that was not not very common and has two sounds.

• 2 weeks later...

She said she only wants two syllables.

How about

安萝 ? an1 luo2(half joking)... it could mean "peaceful root vegetable" (radish actually)(she joked about someone's name being a tuber)

But 安an1 is probably your best bet as a beginning because:

- it sounds like your name

- it's a real chinese surname, though not common

- it means peace, tranquility, etc, so the meaning is good too.

Now, for a 2nd character. Have a sound or meaning in mind?

安椤 - also an1 luo2, but this luo2 means a kind of chestnut tree.

Anyone with actual naming experience have an opinion? I think it sounds good, but maybe there's a better luo to use.

Yes, names are chosen for meaning when you're chinese, and sometimes when you're foreign too. It's a good idea to not go overboard with the meaning though, or you may come off as conceited. For example, naming yourself "peaceful tree" is not bad, but "beautiful intelligent warrior" ... well.... people will think your head's a bit high.