Chinese-Forums

usage of 正 and 整

Hero Doug

I've asked a native speaker how to use 正 and I was told that it's typically not used by itself. In the book where I learnt the word it's listed as meaning 'just'. This can be interpreted in a couple different ways.

I just work up.

Just do it.

He is just talking, it's nothing.

Would anyone be able to give an example of the usage for 正?

Currently this is what I'm thinking.

我正起床。

正做。

他正, 没事儿。

Also, I'm having a little trouble wrapping my head around 整 as well since I was just taught the word, but not given an example. The book introduced it as meaning exaxtly. I'm interpreting this as meaning:

It's exactly five oclock.

I have exactly three apples.

Would anyone be able to provide a couple examples of it's usage? I'm thinking something along the lines of the following:

我整有三个苹果。

现在整五点。

Thanks for the links, I haven't seen those before.

I see how 整 is used as 'whole'. Pretty much like an adverb in terms of word placement.

The whole day: 整天, the whole book: 整本书.

I didn't clue into how to use it as 'exactly', but I'm guessing it should be used in a numeric context. Maybe 我正有三本书。 They only had example sentences for two usages. I'll ask my wife tonight and see what she says.

I see how 正 is used for a couple meanings as well. That's a useful dictionary.

The 小马词典 site is useful as well. It didn't help much with the getting meaning, but it's a good way to increase your vocab without having to learn too many new characters.

Thanks for the links.

i mostly see and use 整 in 完整. which can be used as an adverb in 完整地.

as for 正, i think it was correct saying it isnt usually used alone. its used in many compound words to give the idea of correct, straight, front, positive, etc..

but most often perhaps in 正在 meaning in the process of, while..

if you get the basic idea of the character by itself then see it in many different contexts, groups, and patterns then you'll get used to how its used. there's really no single answer for these characters, as they arent often used alone.

This is the problem I've come across. The book introduced the character alone, but it's not used alone (maybe in a rare case), so it's kind of hard to grasp how to use it.

Looking up the compounds on the first site and finding examples on the second site should prove useful.

yes, thats what i would do.

even when you put 整 in dict.cn by itsef the example sentences show 整个 and 整天.

the more you read and listen the more you'll come across them being used and you see it. they are quite common.

正 can be a grammatical component that means "currently happening".

美国国会通过谴责中国镇压西藏抗议活動的决议案

"Congress is passing a resolution condemning the Chinese crackdown on Tibetan protest activities"

It is usually only used in writing, when speaking I'd say 正在.

整 is used with measure words to indicate the whole of something, as in 整本, 整个, 整体, et.c.

• 2 weeks later...
正 can be a grammatical component that means "currently happening".

美国国会正通过谴责中国镇压西藏抗议活動的决议案

"Congress is passing a resolution condemning the Chinese crackdown on Tibetan protest activities"

It is usually only used in writing, when speaking I'd say 正在.

Yeah, I've come across 正在 quite a lot.
整 is used with measure words to indicate the whole of something, as in 整本, 整个, 整体, et.c.
This is a good usage; I also believe it was the main example on dict.cn. This usage seems like it'll be quite useful.
Both 正 and 整 indeed can be used to mean "exactly":

这正是我需要的。

This is exactly what I need!

现在七点整

It's exactly 7:00 now

Nice examples, I'll just have to remember that it's "exactly is" and not "is exactly".