Chinese-Forums

Need help getting a Chinese name

Banestyrelsen

Hi all,

I'm applying for a university in Bejing and need to think of a Chinese name.

My first name is Valdemar, usually shortened to Val. It's Scandinavian and means "bringer of peace" or something along those lines. My surname is Johansen (pronounced Yohansen). I'm a guy, in case that wasn't clear.

Could you guys help me think of a Chinese name that sounds okay?

I would go with the surname 周 even though the pronunciation isn't exactly like your name but it's close, and then many names use the character 平 or 安 so I would go with one of those and some other character. I honestly don't like a name that is just based off the pronunciation and think the meaning is more important. So I actually don't like monto's suggestion at all (sh) (sorry monto :wink: )

Thanks for helping me out!

It's not necessary for it to phonetically resemble my Western name. I actually wouldn't mind a complete phonetic change, though if I could keep the "peace" theme intact I would be happy, since it does describe my personality as well.

I'd really like to use 安 in my first name like muyongshi suggested. I also think 周 makes a good surname.

Could you guys give me some suggestions of male first names with 安 in them?

I like that! Sounds vaguely exotic and decidedly un-cliche, yet really Chinese, and it fits perfectly with your surname and your given name.

(But wait for a native speaker to comment (or is renzhe a native speaker, I forgot).)

周安森 doesnt sound very chinese to me. its just like a transliteration of your real name. and with 3 first tones its kind of ugly, not melodious at all.

i'd rather suggest 周卫安 zhou1 wei4an1 or 周卫平 zhou1 wei4ping2.

its better sounding and the meaning is closer to what you want. in this case, 卫 means to defend, 平 and 安 both carry the meaning of peace.

and with the difference in tone it sounds more melodious, and thus chinese. you have both meaning, sound, and musical tone.

i'd go with either of these two.

Any native speakers here who could help me choose?

my wife is a native speaker. when i told her 周安森 she said "thats sick!" lol :mrgreen:, then she also suggested either 周卫安 or 周卫平.

which is similar to the names suggested by skylee, who is also a native speaker.