Chinese-Forums

以致 - only with negative consequences

Scoobyqueen

I was under the understanding that 以致 was used only as a consequence of negative events or circumstances. However, looking at one example I realise this may not be the case. Can anyone shed any light as to whether it is mostly used after negatives.

Thanks in advance.

The example I found where the term was used in a positive sense was from dict.cn:

乡村风光太美了,以致于他决定再多呆一星期

I have only seen it being a consequence of something negative roughly translated as "so unfortunately xyz"

i think you are pretty clever and have a good attitude in learning a foreign language.

You are right "以致" in most cases could lead to a rather bad situation, but it's neutral ,too.

let me show you an example, you can say " she's so beautiful 以致 there will be car accidents whenever she's walking on the street, or 以致 everybody will look at her twice in a breath-taking manner.:mrgreen:"

Thank for the response Brutus. I liked your examples. I find examples like that make you remember things more clearly.

Unfortunately, my job (in PR) requires this "hair-splitting" approach, but it does assist the retention since you need to be thorough about every word you pen down.

• 5 months later...